Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 20, 2008

"A Transformational Figure"

Baseball fan that I am, I watched the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Boston Red Sox last night. The pitcher in the ninth inning was the most inexperienced person on the team. This group of young men beat the traditional, Fenway Park loving Sox. In my opinion, they represented the "Transformational figures" about whom Colin Powell spoke. Just as they prevailed, it comforts me to know that, in many areas of American life, the "torch is being passed to a new generation."
I have never been enamored with the Republican party. My great-grandmother had such disdain for anything Republican that I think it rubbed off on me. She was my political mentor--her political wisdom was incredible. I could never vote for a Republican, even if it were someone I liked as a person. I must, however, say that I was absolutely impressed with Colin Powell yesterday as he endorsed Barack Obama. Not only did he endorse him, but he gave reasons and did it with dignity, intelligence and style. He is brilliant enough to know that he has to do what is right, beyond party lines. He did a careful analysis and made his decision based upon that analysis. It made me feel so proud.
I noticed that the Republican pundit on MSNBC ( I refuse to call his name) suggested that Colin Powell only endorsed him because he was Black. Gawd, how many times have Blacks had a racial choice in a presidential race. We have always voted for White candidates and never said to ourselves, OMG, I can't vote for him because he's white. Why, then, would race enter into this year's election.
This election is a racial litmus test. I am confident that when people enter the voting both they will do privately what they have said publicly. I do not believe, as others do, that those who have claimed to be for Obama, will change their minds when they get in the booth. I am counting on this new generation to bring about this transformation. It reminds me of the Kennedy election--as a young 60's person, I believed, hoped, worked for a new world order. I am looking forward to seeing the actualization of this new world order.
If the Tampa Bay Rays could do it, then I know that Obama can do it. I am excited beyond belief. What a great birthday present it will be!

No comments: