Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On Doing Nothing

Last week I saw a marvelous cartoon in the newspaper. The daughter asked her father "What are you going to do today?" He replied "Nothing." She said "I thought that was what you did yesterday?" He said "I know, but I didn't finish."

I am finding that it takes quite a bit of time to do nothing. My "nothings" are just as exciting as my "somethings." As a matter of fact, my "nothings" have become my "somethings." "Nothings" are free "somethings." You don't have to schedule them, you don't have to account for them, they are spontaneous, joyful and new. They require as much thinking time as "somethings" require.

Nothings include no setting of alarm clocks, no necessary gas runs, and looking forward to week days rather than week-ends. My nothings are things I never thought about doing when I was too busy worrying about "somethings." "Nothings" are about me, my gardening, starting Christmas decorations in October (yes, before Halloween), blogging, walking, eating well, paying attention to what I eat, re-connecting with old friends, still waking up early,( but knowing that I don't have to wake up then), watching television late, and keeping a notebook of the "nothings" I want to do each day.

I don't think I will ever finish doing "nothing." It's great.

No comments: