A friend sent an email about "freetirement" today and I thought it was a good time to revisit this lovely time in my life. One of the statements on the email absolutely fascinated me and I decided to use it as the topic of this blog.
I have been trying, for some time, to explain to others what this stage is really all about and the answer is "Six Saturdays and One Sunday." I still love the little things--being out when there is no traffic, shopping when no one is in the store, letting my gas gauge go down to almost empty, learning how to do new things (all of these years, I never knew how to program the VCR--I decided to join the modern age and get a DVR and 200 channels--yikes--thought I would never do that-- actually learned how to operate the DVR), making appointments without any regard to day or time, having lunch and dinner with friends I never had time to spend real time with before, and most of all, being "about me."
I have not been bored one day, just as I was never bored when I was working. I think that whatever you were before you freetired, you will probably just be more of that when you retire. You have Six Saturdays to enjoy the things you enjoyed usually on the week-ends.
OMG, I sometimes feel like I should get rid of most of the clothes in my closet because I rarely use them. Sunday is the only day I use the ironing board. I seem to see the exact same clothes in the washer and dryer each week--shorts, sweats, t-shirts and every now and then, a blouse.
Six Saturdays and One Sunday, how marvelous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment