I just returned from seeing the Chris Rock movie, "Good Hair." It was a true documentary which was informative and interesting. I had seen him on so many talk shows that I thought the movie would have dealt with the issues surrounding "good hair," but he took a more practical approach. Interestingly enough, the "Black hair" business which is solely used by African-Americans, is dominated by Koreans. There are approximately four Black owned "hair companies" out of all of the hundreds of companies. Most of the previously Black owned hair businesses were bought by large cosmetic companies. Secondly, most of the "weave ready" hair comes from India where Indian women sacrifice it in a religious ceremony. Al Sharpton, surprisingly to me, made some very poignant points. He said that we wear our oppression on our heads. Snoop Dog (I think that was who it was) was also very insightful, as were the men in the barbershop.
What the movie can do is begin a conversation between Blacks and Blacks, as well as between Blacks and members of other groups.
I had lunch with a friend this week at Cuatro Milpas (a restaurant in San Diego's Barrio Logan) and he mentioned that race relations are economically based. I told him that the problem with race relations is that people from diverse groups do not have meaningful conversations about race Most of the conversations are shallow and "polite."
He confirmed that he is very reluctant to talk about race for fear of saying the wrong thing. I told him that we cannot separate who we are and what made us what we are, but we can talk about it. He was probably surprised when I told him my thoughts on having grown up during the era of segregation. I told him that it was a fabulous cocoon which made me believe that I could do anything because I saw other African-Americans who had done just that in the confines of the system. I also suggested to him that most non-Blacks probably only have two or three African American friends. He said that he didn't interact with Blacks until he joined the Peace Corps and that even now, he probably only has about three Black friends. Anyway, we had a wonderfully frank and enlightening conversation. He said that there were certain things he would not say around me because I'm Black. I told him that Blacks also feel the same way about saying certain things around Whites and others. That is what made this movie a little uncomfortable for some Blacks--they felt that Chris was giving away one of our secrets. I, on the other hand, thought it was another way to bridge the chasm that is so evident in this society.
I grew up in an era when light skinned, good hair, (I prefer the term House Hair) were deemed better). Sadly, these thoughts still exist. I watched a talk show last week with very young Black girls who believed that their hair had to look like the White kids in their class. Some of these girls were getting their hair permed (straightened) from the age of three. Many of the mothers even believed that they were helping their daughters images of themselves by giving them perms. One woman even said she married a non-black so that her child could have "good hair." When we take two steps forward, sometimes we take two steps backwards.
The best thing about the movie was that Chris' point was that no one is defined by hair. It is what is inside of our heads that is more important!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
They had a great conversation on that movie on KPBS radio this morning. One of the speakers was Jewish and said he really enjoyed it, learned so much and had much in common because he said he had a "Jew-fro". He had no idea about black men not touching black women's hair and other things such as the expense that ordinary black people accept to have "good hair".
Then you look at all the white people, risking skin cancer so that they can have darker skin, Asians cutting their eyes to have "rounder" eyes and we just have to laugh at how foolish homo sapiens can be.
I have also watched various TV shows with Chris Rock concerning his movie 'Good Hair'. I have always hated that term for as long as I can remember. But I do understand where the term came from and that we as an African-American community judge each other by the texture/length of our hair and skin tones. Whenever I have the opportunity to educate someone not of my ethnic group about African-American hair I always do. I can remember talking to ex-coworkers about what steps I would go through at the beauty shop to straighten my hair by pressing it. They assumed that I ironed my hair with an iron that I used on my clothes. I thought that was stretching it but I couldn't fault them because no one had taken the time to tell them and they were afraid to ask. After watching the recent programs about the movie 'Good Hair' I have made it my decision not to use that term ever again. If you like your hair; then to me that is 'good hair'. If you are having a good hair day, that is good hair. If you don't have any hair and you love that look for you, that is good hair. There are soooo many other things in this world that we should concern ourselves with. My hair, your hair or any ones hair should not be in the top five world topics of discussion.
I too was pleasantly surprised by the documentary "Good Hair." I learned a lot and I can see why some African American women were upset with Chris Rock by "exposing" our secrets, but if you really watched the movie, you definitely got an education. I too was blown away by the Indian women sacrificing their hair and the reason they sacrificed it. I truly enjoyed the movie and I think our youth should see it. Yes, it does have some racy language but it is a good opportunity to create some dialog amongst African Americans.
I wear my hair natural and most women love it but I have gotten request from men to straighten my hair. I ask why and the answer is "Because straight hair looks better." And I say, "Looks better to who?" I love my natural curls and I love having the option to wear my hair straight or curly. I love being Black and being able to have either straight or curly hair because we as Black folks can do that. We need to start telling other Black folk, "I love you for you, not your hair."
I agree with Anonymous, there are so many important things to worry about in this world besides hair, but unfortunately, hair is important to African Americans, especially African American women. So important that they put their weaves on layaway. NOW THAT IS SERIOUS! And it still is an issue if young girls are coming home telling their parents that they wish they had good hair. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?
Until we, African Americans, stop judging each other by our hair there is always going to be this "HairChasm". And until the media stop showing that White is right, and straight hair is better there is going to be "HairChasm". Oh by the way, I think, Sis. O, you were referring to Ice T, not Snoop Dog. But it's all good.
Love you and love the hair that God gave you. It's BEAUTIFUL!
I don’t feel that I’m reluctant to talk about race with someone from another, but I am more careful about what I say. This also goes for women, homosexuals, Jews, and any other race, religion or group by which I don’t define myself (even young people, now that my daughter has made me aware that I can’t say just anything around her). What I was trying to say was what I thought you said: that it’s hard for people of different cultures to sit down and discuss their preconceptions and differences. I love doing that in a friendly environment, which is why I can talk about it with you
· My comment about racism and economics is a simplistic one, but when I hear white people talking down on African Americans, Latinos, Asians, etc., it often turns out that “these people” have threatened their livelihood in some way. A cousin of my wife was visiting here from S.Carolina. He had worked in construction for many years, but the big influx of immigrants from Latin America was doing what he’d done, for much less money than he could, and still maintain the lifestyle that he was accustomed to. If you go back in time, it’s always been the immigrants who’ve threatened the status quo of those living here. This included Irish, Italians and Eastern Europeans, not just people of color. This obviously doesn’t explain away all racism, certainly not that experienced by African Americans, but I believe it’s a big factor.
We saw Good Hair last night, too. It’s always a little sad to me when someone wants to look like someone else. I’m sorry that so many black women want straight hair like women of other races. Natural hair is the hair we were born with. Then again, there are white women who have curly hair and straighten it, and those with straight hair who curl it. Sharpton had some good comments, but he was sitting there with straightened hair! I still miss the afros of the 60’s.
I look forward to sitting down with you and talking more about your life in the south during the period of segregation.
p.s. I finished The Help last night. Loved it.
See you soon,
Post a Comment