Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 9, 2009

Anticipating History

Our daughter called me a little after 5 A.M. this morning to tell me that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. This was well worthy waking up for--I am excited and just happy to be able to experience these historic times.

The Committee is recognizing him because he is a beacon of what is to come. He joins ex Presidents Wilson, T. Roosevelt, and Carter and winners, but of course, he is unique among this group.

The haters will hate about this and anything else associated with this man of hope. There have always been haters and they are afraid that now a "love reign" is taking over. I applaud the Peace Prize committee--they have recognized a man who sees the world as a true community. He is not preaching the politics of division and superiority--this was the philosophy of the Peace Corps Volunteers of the 60's. We knew the value of cultural diversity and international relations. We knew that more could be done with love instead of war.

I do not remember hearing so much negativity about the Peace Prize. Fox news is having a field day I hear (I refuse to listen) and I am sure talk radio will have one as well. Their attempts to fill their empty vessels with hate, cannot empty the President's full vessel of hope. He has made hope concrete. I hoped, but didn't always believe. It was just an abstract concept. The world needs the politics of hope. I am glad that the international community was able to see, recognize and applaud this new beginning.

What a surprise to everyone. The news stations have not yet put it all together. I am sure by this evening, they will have a lot to say about it. The President just said that he is "both surprised and deeply humbled." He spoke of a mutual respect among countries--what a concept, it is one that is important to articulate. He said that the award must be shared by all who strive for justice and peace!!!

Let us begin to live our lives in a way that we are contributors to the continuing struggle for justice and peace!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Let us begin to live our lives in a way that we are contributors to the continuing struggle for justice and peace!”



Exactly. Remember the book “The Ugly American” had come out not long before we did our PC stint; and it, together with Kennedy’s call to service is what brought me to PC.



And that is what the Obamas have been trying to say with their calls for volunteerism, community work, etc here at home and in diplomacy worldwide. No more cowboy swagger, might makes right, greed is good attitude, please. The Peace Prize might be a little premature; Obama’s humble acceptance was beautiful. I believe that at last we are again on the right track.

Anonymous said...

Gawd, isn't it exciting!!!! super,, Tremendous!!!
Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Please forward this to the White House.

Anonymous said...

I work in the media, so you can imagine what I've heard. Being the only black on the editorial floor, I only heard one comment from a co-worker, saying she was surprised, I quickly let her know my feelings and it went no further. I'm sure there were comments when I was not around, but I wouldn't expect any less. I think this honor is well deserved and received by this man of hope. Thank you for letting me say something positive and not defensive about this issue.

Anonymous said...

Dr. O, Liked your blog. The right wing is livid. Ronnie never got it and never will, at least I don't think it will ever be awarded posthumously........ The committee recognized that Obama has in a few months challenged different world groups to become the best they can and saying it in a way that is encouraging to them not pointing out their failures and not saying it from a superior U.S. attitude. He has a wonderful way about him and represents the best thinking of our country. I remember feeling the need to make it clear to a Swedish seatmate on an airplane in India that not all of the people in the U.S. including myself agreed with Bush invading a country unprovoked and that we felt embarrassed that he was president and would do such a thing.

We are not embarrassed by what Obama says or does even if we might not agree with some move he makes. And the world once more looks on us with some respect. We were all surprised about the prize, but glad he has been recognized.

Did you notice that not one of the presidents sitting or past who have been awarded the prize have been republicans? Theodore Roosevelt cannot be counted republican because he bolted the party because of some of their policies and was an independent when elected. "Bull-moose" party, I think they called it.