Today I celebrated my birthday by volunteering at the Obama Campaign Headquarters beginning at 6:00 a.m. I called people in Ohio until 10:15 when I had to fetch a friend from the airport. There was a young woman who arrived at the very same time, but could not wait because the calling lists were not ready. I told her that I was "freetired" and could wait and besides, it was my birthday gift to myself. OMG, it was her birthday too--she is 31 today. How ironic is that? We thought it must be an omen that Obama will truly be victorious (I know it's a stretch). We took a picture together in front on an Obama sign in the office. I have already sent this young lawyer the picture and she has already replied.
This morning's experience reminded me of all of us children of the 60's. I saw the same enthusiasm, the same hope, and the same feeling that we made a difference. These reasons make me believe that "Everything is going to be alright."
I was also impressed by the diversity of the volunteers--they were Black, White, Asian, young, old, men, women--all working for a single cause. It was invigorating and inspirational.
Today was an O'Day, my birthday, but tomorrow will be the REAL O'DAY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment