Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 7, 2008

A "We World" Once Again

The more I reflect upon the enormity of this week, the more I remember the past. I remember the times when we all cared about one another. I remember the times when neighborhoods were united and there were no garage doors to separate us. I remember front porches and playing in the street. I remember thinking more about others than about myself. That was the Peace Corps Mantra--others before self. We cared deeply and we showed it. It was the mantra I tried to bring to my work and to my association with those about whom I cared deeply, family and friends. That caring also extended to those whom I did not know well--it was done without expecting anything in return.

This is the world I see returning--this "Obama Girl" was thrilled that Americans did the right thing--they were not distracted by negativity and did what was right because it was right and for no other reason. It was not because he was Black, but because he was by far, the best person for the job.

Let us have high hopes--not just for the President-Elect, but for our country, our children, our grands, our nieces, nephews and cousins. This should be a time of high hopes for America.

It is time for all of us to "pull our pants up." That expression was one I heard on television--it represents hope that all of the "saggers" will now know that they have a reason to pull their pants up--they have a true role model who lets them know that they can be anything. There is no time for any more excuses. Barack Obama has transcended all of those excuses--it is the start of a new world order.

I am excited to be a part of the "We World" once again. The time of "Meism" has passed.

No comments: