This unusual title refers to Seniors at the Casino. I went with two friends to the casino yesterday and it was a great learning experience. I picked them up on opposite sides of town and we arrived at 9 a.m. It was the earliest I have been in my car since last fall. The entire place looked like a Senior Day Camp. People seemed to know one another and I was convinced that it was not about the gambling, but about the camaraderie. They played bingo, slots, and a very few were at the table games. The lines for the complimentary continental breakfasts were very long. The coffee, tea and soft drinks were complimentary throughout the entire place. Many "regulars" had coupons for free breakfast or free lunch. At first, I thought, who will still be here for lunch?--little did I know about early morning Caseniors.
There was a slot machine section set aside for those in wheelchairs--it was filled. there was a non-smoking bingo parlor, and one for smokers. There were television screens on the automated bingo screens. The days of daubers and paper are almost past. The screens required very little monitoring--the numbers are automatically placed on the scream at the sound of the caller's voice. You are simultaneously able to talk to your neighbor, play bingo, and eat .
I thought we would be there for a short time--after two sessions of bingo, we did not leave until after 2:00. I am convinced that some adult children drop off their parents and pick them up after work--it is probably cheaper than senior day care.
I played a few games of blackjack because i am a card player. My goal is to never spend any more than I would for dinner, and I should at least come home happy because the investment was small. Successful to me is being able to buy gas with my bounty--I was able to do that.
I am looking at the Casenior day in a new light--the crowd is quite different from the night time crew. I saw four people I knew, two of them from church :-).
Senior time is indeed the time to do what you want, when you want, and where you want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment