I have been thinking about blogging since the “selection,” but nothing nice immediately came to mind. My angst was almost unbearable, so I was required to sit, think, and try to make sense of it all. I have thought, and sat, but still have not been able to make sense of it all. I never thought that it would happen, and apparently many others have thought the same. It was like nothing I had ever experienced in a Presidential election. I have seen many Republicans elected, during my lifetime, and have never had a problem with any of them, even the one I thought was tricky, and the one I thought was as dumb as a box of rocks (but at least he had a genetic link).
It became increasingly difficult to even talk to those who voted for the person I call ##, because they voted for everything I do not believe. It is not enough for me to hear them say he will carry out his infamous “hat slogan” which sounded like a negative rallying cry negating all that had been done the previous four years. In my mind, I knew exactly what that meant.
When you have been historically tied to a group which emasculated Black men, hung them from trees, raped their women and disrespected them in so many other unspeakable ways, it must have been very difficult to see a black man occupy the greatest office in the land. So, I guess ## is their revenge. Oh well, let us see how much he will care about anyone other than himself, including them, by whatever name they want to be called.
Yes, I said it, as far as I am concerned, it is nothing more than a racial backlash, no matter how many times they try to say that it is not. Baloney! America has a lot to learn about Race in America! Denial will not lead to understanding. How many real friends do you have of different races. Not just people who work with you, for you, or you see occasionally. I mean someone you talk to on the phone, have been to their homes, you REALLY know them?
It seemed that they wanted to wash away The Hope which was so present the past four years. However, I decided that I would never let anyone take away my hope or my joy!
A week ago I participated in what was billed as the “Women’s March,” which was so much more than that. That gave me a little hope from the time I arrived at the trolley station and saw the large group of people waiting to purchase tickets. I had not anticipated such a crowd. Upon entering the train, there was no room to move, and the trolley could pick up no one else all the way to downtown. One young lady said she had felt so alone after the election, but felt wonderful, even on the trolley to be around like minded people. It was a glorious ride, pussy hats everywhere (did not have one, but someone is knitting me one, after the fact). Upon our arrival at our stop, it was a glorious walk to the beginning area for the march, near San Diego’s Civic Center. I could not believe the number of people--old, young, men, women, and children, even babies in strollers. The signs were the most creative I have ever seen at any march. I marched with two 50 something former students, and a friend who graduated from high school the same year I did--Love us 60’s activists. There was a slight rain, but we were prepared. I think it probably lasted for 3-5 minutes, but was quite inconsequential.
It was just a one mile walk, but the spirit was absolutely amazing. I was so glad that I did it. It was a RENEWAL of hope for me.
I have suspended my “News Junkie” status, to keep my sanity, and I cannot bear to see a certain face or hear a certain voice. I have watched more movies, colored more, written more, and read more, so that is a good thing. The time I spent with MSNBC, and CNN have been replaced--that is also a good thing.
My HOPE has returned because I see the present events as a call to action. No more taking things for granted. No more listening to miscalculating news accounts. The time for action, and activism is NOW. It is not enough to march, we have to protest, email representatives, encourage, and pray, as we move our feet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This sums it up in the most encompassing way! Thank you!
This has to be one of your BEST blogs Mrs O 💕💕
Yes! You said everything we are all thinking. Thank You!!!
Your blog, as usual, Mrs. O, is very insightful, and I totally agree with it. I, on the other hand, suspected that #&%@ would be elected because most white folks are most invested in protecting their whiteness and the unacknowledged privilege that accompanies it. For Black folks, Obama represents that old black tax: we must be 10 times better than their mediocre, and still we’re not good enough. Obama was a stellar scholar, community organizer and a politician for the people, and yet, he was not good enough. As one of the 50-something year old former students who marched with you in the Women’s March, I share your sentiments. It was empowering to see the diversity of people at the event, but I must point out the glaring absence of Black women. Granted, Black folks only constitute about 7% of San Diego’s population, I counted the number of Black women on one hand. I think, at a minimum, we must critique why over 50% of white women voted for #&%@. We must critique why the media conflates women’s support of Clinton, when in fact, over 90% of Black women supported Clinton. White women, however, conflate those numbers to present them in a more favorable light. White women need to concede than when the media talks about “women”, they’re talking about white women. Black women have the burden of not only holding up her race, but she has to hold up her gender as well. In addition, as you’ve stated, it’s not enough to march and protest! I would add, we must VOTE and RUN for political office.
Thank you for sharing your blogs with me. I wish the world could read them. You bring so much to the table and your written words open many doors for thought and grasping some comprehension to the past and present situation. The New Yorker in December had a beautiful interview with President Obama. I wish they could stay in the White House forever. But, I am so happy they are out alive and able to pursue a life for themselves and their talents. Somewhat on their own out of the fishbowl of hate. With your insights and words for support we move on. Waiting for the next march or petition or whatever with the hopes that somehow these current residents will be stopped along the way before something really awful happens. I hope you do not mind I would like to make a copy of your blogs and share them with friends. I am an old fashioned reader and like to have the words on paper in order to read them privately not on a screen. Love to you and Tony, take care of each other. Let us hope the grands will inherit a better world. Abracos , Patti
Post a Comment