Growing up as a little Black girl on 63rd street in Miami, I was surrounded by folks who lived in what people now call the “inner city.” Some have never, in their lives, walked the streets which we walked. That was not an “inner city” to me, that was my neighborhood, lived in by old, young, educated, uneducated, wise, unwise, children playing in the street, old folks telling us to get out of the street, church going folks, folks who cared about everyone on 63rd Street, and folks who encouraged us young ones to get an education.
We were taught to respect our elders, to be compassionate, to give, even when we had little. I cherished those old ladies who gave me a dollar when I came home for vacations from college. I knew what that dollar meant to them--it meant that they wanted to make sure that I have a life different from the one they had.
There was also another America--the one where White folks were in charge, separate but equal. It was an America where my great grandmother, a cook for the Millers, had to enter the house through the back door. It was an America where “White was Right.” It was an America where folks wanted us to believe that we were inferior. It was an America where folks felt like we were going to be held down forever. It was an America where equal rights was a joke.
They did not know about my other America.
The America I used to know is not the America that they want. They want an America where disrespect runs rampant. They want an America which will reflect the worst of the old America.
They want an America which reflects “Make America WHITE again,” an America which reflects “Make America Hate again.”
I grieve for those folks who gave me a dollar. I grieve for my children and grandchildren.
I am angry about the outcome of the Presidential election. I do not want anyone to try to assuage my anger. Let me be angry. I am angry because this country is headed in a downward spiral. Never in my wildest dreams did I believe that a misogynistic, racist, sexist, xenophobic, nasty man could get this far. I am angry at every true Republican who did not speak up. I am angry at every person who did not vote. I am angry at every one who did not understand the dire consequences of what his election would do for the country.
How could anyone vote for a person running for the highest office in the land who disparaged women, the disabled (you know the rest) and talked about grabbing?” I would have kicked him out of my classroom for that kind of talk, and yet, he ran, and won!
I am angry at everyone who believes he is a change agent--change to WHAT? I am angry at everyone who overlooked all of his peccadilloes and voted for him anyway.
It was nothing that anyone else said about him--He said it all himself. Yes, I am angry. I know that God is in control, but in the meantime, I will be angry!
I am angry at the media, who for the benefit of ratings, and money, gave him all of that free publicity. He played them like a piano. Every move he made was calculated. He threw out lies and knew exactly what he was doing. Once they were out there, they were there. He had absolutely no political plan except to pull off the biggest con since Jonestown.
It was all a very bad version of the apprentice, except nobody fired HIM.
It is an aberration of our political process. In my lifetime, I have seen many Republicans elected, and I had never had a problem, and never felt the emptiness that I feel today. If I were a TRUE Republican, I would be ashamed. As a true Democrat, if some Democrat were running with that history, I would have spoken up, and certainly not voted for them.
Today, I have little faith in the humanity of man. Even though the electoral college put him over the top, and he received fewer of the people’s votes, I am still in shock and dismay.
I am tired of hearing, let’s get behind him. No thank you. For me, it is not a political issue, but a moral one,. I never want to get behind anyone who holds the views about people that he holds. I never want to be conned or scammed like he has conned and scammed. It reminds me of the fake income tax calls from a call center in India, that some actually believed.
I still believe that anyone who voted for him had to agree with his views--I will be very hesitant to call them friend. Perhaps a “hello” may be all I can muster.
In the midst of my gloom, I look to my “America I Used to Know,” and draw strength from it. It makes me know that we STILL have a lot to fight for. I still find joy in Barack Hussein Obama. I am happy that our grandchildren were able to see him and his family in the White House.
Because of that, I remain hopeful, and will continue to instill hope. As a child of the 60’s, I know that the battle may be hard, but victory is possible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
Well said as always... go ahead a be mad. FOR as long as it takes. I'm mad to... but not so ready to vent.
Excellent commentary, Mrs. O. Absolutely share-worthy!
Mrs O I couldn't have said it any better! Thanks for your blog!
Pat: This is fantastic! It states every aspect of what was wrong with electing this vile man, how the system is broken, how we view America, and why we are so mad and disgusted! This should be a MUST read for EVERYBODY !! I've already forwarded it to several people! What about sending it as an op-ed piece to the Miami Herald, Washington Post, NY Times, etc?
You've captured my sentiments completely!
Reading this was amazing. I totally 100% agree with you.
Outstanding commentary. We must press on but not be in denial about how disappointing the election results were. Yes Mrs.O God is still in control but, he trust us with his keys. In my opinion we as a nation messed up this time. Through my deep despair, I trust God. Yet, it seems that many trust in insults, white supremacy and an affinity to our lessor angels. I will carry-on
Ronnie
Wow!Roar! I am simply feeling validated. There is so much truth, wisdom, knowledge, and power in this blog. I feel your pain. I was in shock and disbelief, but reality soon slapped me out of it. The coolest part about this blog is that I have said the same things to others. I have actually told one of his supporters that ## was making, "Amerikkka Hate Again!" I feel kicked down with a knee in my back. My faith, however has allowed me too reassess things and fight on.
With tear in my eyes, DROP THE MIC! Beautifully Said!
This expression of how you are feeling is so relevant to the situation we are facing. Many will say "get over it" or well someone had to lose, that is not the point! I agree with you, be angry and work through it in your time! Those who think it will just be "oh well" definitely have their heads in the sand. Thank you Mrs. O for sharing your thoughts and feelings!
Words well spoken and the feeling you are having is so valid and whoever cannot validate your feelings needs to just step on back. This nation has been sucker punched in the gut and conned beyond belief! Yes there is anger and not just because a certain candidate did not win but because America has shown that it could careless about values that they want to hold certain people to but disregard a person who blantantly disregards humanity. We have been dealt the biggest con game of all time. So be mad! Process it how you need to that is one thing no one can take away from you!
THIS IS POWERFUL....TEARS...YOU'VE SEEN SO MUCH IN YOUR YEARS....GREAT BLOG
This is a sad time in our nation. I can't understand why anyone would vote for that man. It breaks my heart, my confidence, and concerns me. Will I be told to leave when those find out I'm Mexican? Will my many Somali neighbors be forced to leave? Will my gay friends be discriminated freely again? Will my African American friends be treated as such that no one thinks Black lives matter? Will the disabled be mocked for their movements, or called retard? Will Muslims all be considered terrorists? Oh wait. ALL of that is happening, and will likely increase ten fold when he enters office. I try to move on but I'm dejected.
Mrs. O.,,,,What I just read not only could I relate to, but it brought tears of sorrow, and then, TEARS OF DETERMINATION! Let's stay focused, and prepare for 2020.....But, I WILL NOT EVER refer to him as MY President...MY President will be leaving office in January, but President Barack Obama,.... Barack Obama.....will always be my President!!!!!
This made me cry because it is so true. All we can do is to continue to fight for our believes and what is right. I believe in the strength of the good people overcoming the bullying of the bad.
Thank you for putting to words my sheer disgust and anger I have towards those that voted for this vile piece of human waste so eloquently.
#fracturednation #shameshameshame
Dear Pat, this is a lovely and passionate post with which I solidly agree 100%. I know the time and thought that it took to pull your thoughts together and then put them on paper so elegantly. Having listened to a piece by David Frum earlier today on the radio regarding the reprehensible and untraceable wholesale thefts that Trump & Company will execute over the next four years, I cannot share your hope for a better America ... at least not anytime soon. My worries and despair concern not myself, already in the autumn of my life, but my children and their children. The coming assault on the EPA and environmental regulations and practices, and Trump's plans to abandon our global leadership and responsibilities as agreed to in the COP21 negotiations in Paris last year, will quickly lead to increased environmental degradation worldwide of our air, water, earth, and everything else that creates the complex matrix of what we call life and living things on planet earth. I hope I am wrong.
"Make America white again, make America hate again!" That is all that is being perpetuated. I am empty, depleted and heartbroken. Your words echo all of our sentiments. Shame on the "true Republicans" who poo-poo'ed yet did nothing. This horrible poor excuse for a human being will have his way with this country, chew it up, spit it out and keep going. This man doesn't care about ANYONE or anything that goes on. Pro-whites in high schools are hurting all other kids because they feel they now are going to make America great again (hate again). Thank you for expressing your thoughts. I know it hurts you to be this angry. You, who normally lets it run off! ��
You state so well the tragedy of this, and "right on" in terms of where anger should be directed.
Very well said, Mrs. O! Go ahead and be angry for as long as you want. They say you can't tell someone how to grieve, I say you can't tell someone how long to be angry! I am angry and will be angry until...
Well put, sorry you had to go through the 60's anger and bigotry. You could have been a mean and ugly person, you chose to be an educator and a God fearing all about great woman. Thank you. I fear our country is going to take many steps backwards, we should be moving forward. Trump a President is the worst thing this country will know...Such sad history in the making.
Post a Comment