Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 13, 2016

JUST KEEP LIVIN’

It occurs to me that there is a huge chasm between the young and the old.  I have noticed lately that the line is clearly drawn--the old are leary of the young, and the young are leary of the old.  I notice it, particular in one venue I visit each week.  Some of the older people believe that they are being ignored, “pushed out,” and relegated to a “lesser place.

At first, I thought that I wanted to become an “Anti-Ageism Warrior” and actually try to bridge the gap.  I thought about it, talked to people about it, and the answer was always “But you are different” from the other old people."  I do not take that as a compliment.  I know that the gap can be bridged because I have friends in every age group--many younger, and many older.  I cherish, and learn from each group.  I believe that both groups have much they can learn from each other.

When a new young leader emerges, the “elders sometime have a problem.  It reminds me of when our church in Miami “changed” and mother began attending a “break out” church with very young minister

  At mother’s funeral , he talked about how she would tell him when his socks did  not match his suit, or tell him  that she had “shoes older than he was.” She just told him whatever was on her mind, but he treated her with respect, and appreciated the advice she gave him. After all, he was younger than her youngest child. I am not quite sure of how he responded to her  advice, but she was his greatest supporter.

I love being OLD, just as I have liked every age.  I don’t like to be looked upon as some kind of relic without a brain.  When I went to vote early, the lady gave me a paper ballot.  When I went into the room, I saw that there was a computerized ballot.  I returned to the young woman, and asked why she did not tell me that option.  She apologized, but I looked her in the eye and told her “You thought I was OLD, and would not know how to do it."  I informed her that I am probably more computer savvy than she.  I refused to change, and went ahead with the paper ballot, once my point was made.

Just yesterday, someone yelled out to a group of seniors “I hope I look that good when I am y’all’s age. For some reason, that just annoyed me. It implies that you are not supposed to still look good when you are old? I remember every decade of my life, and what I thought I knew during each decade. And now, I am still learning, but I have much more time to be more observant do everything and everyone around me. I say to the 40 and 50 somethings, just keep lovin' and eventually, you will find out that you did not know all that you now think you know. Find, as a friend, or ally, a truth telling old person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It bothers me that, as a 50 something or younger, we do not cherish the wisdom of others no matter their age. I learn from just about everyone I have some kind of contact with. Not all wisdom is good wisdom, but it's wisdom none the less. Be it a 5 year old who has more sense then some adults I know or a woman who needs daily medication to keep her somewhat sane. Each one of us has something to give & we should always be willing to receive.