Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Good Old Days

If you were not around during the good old days, then you have no idea what they were really all about. History books can tell you about facts, but rarely  make you really feel what was happening. I detest hearing someone, especially 40 somethings, and some 50 somethings talk about how the good old days were not all that good. There were things in those days which made us care more about others and their safety. Folks in the good old days respected elders, and others. It seemed safer because we knew our neighbors, and looked out for each other. Despite the racism in the south ( oh, excuse me, it still exists in the hearts of many throughout the country, so it is not a "southern" thing"), I lived my village where I could see the achievements of folks who,looked like me.

In those days, we had authentic conversations when we were actually face to face. We could not hide behind a keyboard, as we can on social media. We knew what to keep, and what to tell. We knew that making mud pies was an authentically rich experience. We played marbles in the dirt, made bottle dolls from sisal rope, and we knew that we did not need material things to make us happy. Relationships with others were what we had--real people, not FB friends we never see.

I am not stuck in the past, and I am as up to date as any elder, however, I cherish the past, and the good old days which made me who I am. I resent any attempt to characterize those days as not so good. What is needed, is a REAL conversation with someone who actually LIVED during those good old days and finding out what you can truly learn from them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it were not for the "good old days" to remember we would not have what we have today. Those who cannot see the good old days seem to live in a tunnel visioned world, where all they see is what is two feet in front of them.

Anonymous said...

I always say I'm sooooo happy I was born in the sixties. I loved my childhood! I love that I'm a "Southern" girl who picked peas & ate Blackberries walking down the street in MS. That eating at McDonald's was a treat & not a lifestyle. That our "social media" was discussing the new dances & black artist on 'Soul Train'. If having experiences like that are referred to as the "Good old days" then I thank God for them. :-)