I was becoming increasingly annoyed as I read post after post complaining that all of the FB profile pictures with the French flag superimposed on them, was wrong. Although I did not do it, I was not bothered by those who did. Most people who were bothered, thought that when bad things--massacres, and other things, happen in other countries, no one cares, no one superimposes a flag over their picture for those countries.
Humanitarian, and citizen of the world that I am, I am usually aware of what is happening all over the world--good and bad. It is incumbent upon us all to make wrong right when we can, and to care about our fellow-man wherever they are. It is not about a FB profile--who cares what flag is superimposed, if no one is actively doing anything but “blowing smoke.” It does not matter what we complain about, if we are not actively doing anything to change the world.
Those complaints are almost as petty, in my humble opinion, as the discussion about Starbucks cups. Just as it is more important to know what is INside of a particular “CUP,” it is also important to look beyond flags. Some have talked about France, the Colonialist, but believe me, if we looked at Colonialists and Imperialists, we would really cover our faces with flags.
One of the best examples I saw was someone with a world map with his face within that map--at least, that shows his concern for the entire world. If the events in Paris (one of my favorite cities), can somehow bring to the forefront what is going on in the world, then so be it. We all know that anything can happen anywhere, and if there is injustice for one, there is injustice for all.
So, let us get beyond flags and cups, and actually DO something about the world as we see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yes! Oh my goodness you summed it up with this explaination! I have been slammed about supporting Paris, wow really people? As you stated it affects the entire world no matter where something is happening.
Post a Comment