The incident in South Carolina has reminded me, once again of the totally disgusting disregard for Black life. I do not believe that a white child would have been treated in this manner. I am still upset that a Black male teacher, stood in front of the class, and did NOTHING to save this child.
First of all, he should have known something of her fragility, and even if he did not, it was incumbent upon him to step up. He is not my kind of man, period. I still say, she is a child, and the teacher and the “security” officer were adults. This was a phone, not a weapon. A former student said, if a parent and into that classroom, and did that, they would be in JAIL, still. It seems to get worse every day.
I don’t want to hear anything about “playing the race card,” because IT IS WHAT IT IS.
I am becoming more and more annoyed when I hear people say, it is not race. One thing I have learned upon the election of our POTUS, and that is, IT IS RACE, and until people can admit it, and discuss it, and do something about it, we will remain in the dark ages.
Just because it is race, does not make one a racist, if they recognize that it is what it is. What is worse is when no one wants to see, and discuss the truth. It has always been race, but nowadays, more overt than I have ever seen it. IT IS NOT JUST SOUTH CAROLINA (the South has always been an easy target)--it is the USA period.
I am a child of the South, and am very familiar with Columbia, and believe me it is a reflection of the entire country. It happens everywhere.
Yes, I am ranting, but this incident is so utterly ridiculous, and it tears out a piece of my heart when people are, once again, blaming the victim. No child is hopeless!!!! It is the adults who make them feel hopeless!!!
The village begins in the home and the phrase “It takes a village” has become another catch all phrase for many of the ills of society. The village has been broken for some time. There used to be strong villages--I grew up in one. Now, people barely know their neighbors, and are more concerned with THINGS, rather than PEOPLE. When we see a need, we should try to fill it. Where has our compassion gone how have we become so immune to the plights of others?
That is what I saw in that classroom, and it is part of a far greater problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It really bothers me when people say it's not about race....I get tired of arguing the fact!!....
It really bothers me when people say it's not about race....I get tired of arguing the fact!!....
Indeed the silence from the Assistant Principal and the Math Teacher is deafening!
I understand policies and procedures must be administered but proper administration of both were missing in this event by all involved!
I'm thankful for the one lone voice that rallied to this young victim's defense.
Race matters in America; it always has and it always will. How we as a society deal with is the question going forward.
It's a shame that people are still in denial about the fact that it is about race. But one thing I can say about the current racial environment is that is has distanced me from "so called" friends who still have blinders on. I don't have the time or the tolerance for ignorance anymore!
Poignant Truth does not always feel good. GREAT blog! Signed ... Sushi.
Post a Comment