Bill, the ultimate organizer, had told his caretaker to make sure to call us before we came up, letting us know that he would not be there. (that is is humor, and his style)
My phone flashes a light when I receive an email, so I was alerted that I had one. It was shocking still even though we knew that he was ill. All of I could think about was calling my husband, packing up my stuff and going home. I did all of that, got home a little after 10:30, got in bed, pulled the covers over my head, and stayed there for a few hours.
I have known my friend, Bill, for over forty years, and first met him when I began teaching at Morse. Even then, his wit and wisdom were both amazing!
He, Marge Cole ( who was also a teacher at Morse),and I celebrated each of our birthdays with a dinner at a restaurant. We have done that for many years. The last few times, we took our celebrations to his house, and were scheduled to see him on Friday around noon. There are no words to describe the hole in our hearts left by his passing.
We will miss him so much. However, he was prepared, had everything prepared, and is somewhere checking to make sure it will all be done as he would like--full of laughter and joy. I can still hear his laughter, replay his stories in my head, and smile with joy when I think of him.
His presence will be felt from the tremendous influence he had on all of us who knew him. Rest well my dear old friend.

1 comment:
Beautiful
Post a Comment