Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

RUSSIA: CABBAGE, CUCUMBERS, POTATOES AND CARROTS



Our two weeks in Russia was unlike any trip we have taken before. (I am also glad we are home now after the news about Syria).  I have been thinking about this blog for some time trying to figure out the best way to approach it.  I think I may just list the things  which I thought were interesting,

We visited Moscow, Uglich, Yaroslavl, Goritsy, Kizhi, Mandrogi, and St. Petersburg. I had never seen so many palaces,  learned so much history in a short time,  noticed and appreciated architectural styles, and in general, experienced an “out of the box” visit, different from what we usually experience.

PEOPLE

1.     Although I had been told this by two former students who had traveled to Russia, I was still shocked to have seen THREE people of color.  One, sitting on a bus bench, as I took a picture from a bus, another, taking trash out of a restaurant, and another young student rushing past us on an escalator to the subway (which, I might add, was the longest escaIator I had ever seen—in St. Petersburg.

2.     Upon first impression, Russians may seem rude, but I understand they are better one on one.  When  we  ventured out alone, we ran into no problems whatsoever, and everyone was very engaging and helpful.
3.     I have not been anywhere with such a lack of diversity.
4.      
WEATHER

1.     We were prepared for very cold weather and were surprised that the weather was extremely pleasant.  There was a light rain for a short while one day, and we used a jacket most days, but we did not need most of the warm weather clothes we took. Someone told us that Russia has eleven months of winter and one month waiting for winter. I cannot imagine being there in the winter.
2.     It is a great place to buy warm weather gear beginning with the fur hats.

LANGUAGE

1.     I took three classes in Russian while I was there.  I learned key phrases, but most of all, the language was demystified.  I carried a cheat sheet around with me most of the time.
2.     People in the tourist shops speak English, but not many people on the street.  As usual, when looking for an English speaker, we always look for someone young—they are more likely to speak English.  We only needed it when we were out on our own. Russia was isolated for a very long time. 

POLITICS

Everything is referenced by “Soviet Time,” and Present Time. Joke I liked—addressed to Putin:  “Mr. Putin, your opponent received 70% of the vote, but the good news is you got 80%.  Russia went from wooden plow to nuclear power under communism.  Like the book, Animal Farm, “All of the animals are equal, but some are more equal.
The main problem with communism was the lack of freedom, and Soviets could not travel abroad. Some appear to miss those days, however,  because education, was free, and housing was very very cheap.  However, there was low work efficiency because there were no incentives—everyone received the same salary no matter how hard they worked.
The land did not belong to the people, but the buildings did.

VODKA

“You cannot drink all of the vodka in the world, or kiss all of the girls in the world, but you have to try.”  Putin, however, does not drink. It is said that Russians rejected Islam because they forbid drinking alcohol(may or may not be true) Many binge drink—we were told that vodka is a terrible curse of Russia (Maybe it keeps people warm).

FOOD

 Cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, and potatoes. 
SUCKS! I guess it is geared to keeping your body warm—the blinis were probably the best Russian food we ate.  It reminds you of a crepe, or a tortilla. The food on the ship reflected the food of the country, although we were able to have fish and fowl--the fish always had bones.

KREMLIN

This means town encircled by walls. Kremlins are all over Russia (this was news to me)

MY GENERAL IMPRESSION

Although it was extremely interesting, it is not a place I would visit without being with a group.  Moscow is huge, and we would not have been able to see the small towns. I could never live there because of the weather and the lack of diversity. 

Everyone looks extremely serious, and very few people smiled.  I imagine during the “Soviet Time,” paranoia was rampant.  We saw the KGB building in St Petersburg, and it was very dismal and scary looking.

The dollar was strong, because the Russian economy is weak right now, so that was nice for purchasing things for our children and grandchildren.

A river cruise is really the best way to visit it in order to maximize what you may see.

You will see enough palaces and churches to last a lifetime—all magnificent.

The Hermitage is indescribable.

St Petersburg is a wonderful city.  Beautiful  canals  throughout, with a very European flair.  It was probably my favorite.  (It was also where I saw the three Black people).

We flew from San Diego to New York,  to Amsterdam, where we had a five hour lay-over before flying to Moscow.  It seems like an extremely interesting place--may be worth a look.  Flew home on Aeroflot to Paris, and when we got to the Paris airport, it was obvious that we were no longer in Russia--everyone was smiling!!!. Almost four hours to Paris, and then eleven hours to Los Angeles. Our luggage did not show up in San Diego when we did, but it was delivered the next day.  

The closing remark from our guide was that when we get back to our homes, we can say “Russians are bad, but not THAT bad.” :-)

                                               WAS IT WORTH IT?   ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

                                                               
I loved the tile detail on a church in Yaroslavl! I was so in touch with my artistic side on this trip.









6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your description. A lack of diversity sounds like a boring place to live. Learning new cultural things though is never a waste.

Anonymous said...

Great review of your trip. WE took exactly the same trip and saw the same places. It was all so amazing and interesting.. Our ship food was worse, no cukes and whenever we stopped anywhere we all rushed to the fruit vendors for bananas. WE spent an extra two nights alone in St, Petersburgh. I don't think the people were quite so dour when we were there but that was in the 80's and they had some hope for change and improvements. How about all those highrises that Khruschev built which are dirt cheap to live in but now that everyone is so old and there are no elevators it was a big problems for the people. I agree with you that many of the older folk miss having everything taken care of for them. The new regimes have not provided much for their people and it is a sad thing to see. All the jewelry on the horses in the Romanov's museum would of been enough to cause a revolution. WE agree with you it was an amazing experience and could only be done by boat. WE also saw the Bolshoy BAllet at the Marinsky Theater. The theater is magnificent and the bath rooms were squatters two feet type which the women in gowns and the rest of us all shared.. I suspect by now they have put doors on the stalls! Quite an experience. Thanks for alerting me to your blog.

O'Senior said...

Yes, I forgot--if the building had more than five floors, there was no elevator.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mrs. O..... I enjoyed Russia through your eyes and mind.
Yadira W

Anonymous said...

My friend was there in the 90’s, not the 80’s. Big difference--The “Soviet Time” was over in l993.

Anonymous said...

Just thankful you're home