Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Serendipity via Facebook

Since our daughter told me that I should have blogged this instead of posting it on FB (too long, in her opinion), I decided to follow her advice, although it remains on FB.  I really should extend my blog viewership, but for now, this is fine.


Talk about SERENDIPITY!!! One of our young cousins was on a FB post in which someone was trash talking about the Philadelphia Eagles. One of the posters was another cousin (but they had no idea they were related). Cousin #1 just clicked on the name of Cousin #2, and saw our family picture . (Although we are in the same generation, I am waaay older, and remember when his mother was born).
Yesterday, he inboxed me to ask me about the picture--and of course, as one of the eldest in the family, I knew all about it. He wrote a very inspiring post about the importance of family, and the rest. On this day, as you see in the post on my page, it has been a grand family reunion via FB. I have received friend requests from other family members, based upon the post, and my sister and I are able to further encourage the younger generation about the importance of attendance at family reunions. I am so inspired--our elders would be so proud. 
FB can be wonderful, when used properly. It is a wonderful day of re-connection. There was even a family member with a FB friend, and he had no idea they were related. Amazing! Thank you Rafeeq, for getting it all started. Amazing, what a simple picture (one I have seen all of my life) can do!!! Thankful that I listened well why growing up, Our branches are spread all over the country, mainly Miami, Central Florida, Philadelphia, and California, and through the magic of FB, all connected.

The post our cousin, Rafeeq wrote on FB :


As African Americans we often think about the tragic stories associated with our lineage, but through it all there are dignified stories of royalty, invention, triumphs, strength and love. I recently came across this image of an old Negro family; my family. Seated are William and Martha Meuse surrounded by their children. Held in her father's arms is Lottie Permenter (my Great Great Grandmother). She was born in the Kissimmee, FL area on August 26, 1886. She passed away 108 years later on February 15, 1994. I remember going to visit "Mama Lottie" when I was younger but I have never seen this photograph before. It's amazing how much history and information is presented in a single image. It is imperative that we honor the sanctity of the ties that bind.

1 comment:

uppity negro said...

Im ready for 2017!! I too am amazed at how much traction my post received.