Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 11, 2013

I Can Still Pick Up My Spoon

I talk to my East Coast friends very early in the morning, and especially on the week-ends. This morning I spoke to the person I call "Mother Person," and it is always so interesting to hear this almost 90 year old darling give me her words of wisdom. We somehow began to talk about gratitude (I even put that word on my FB status--stole it from another person's status this morning--funny how things work), and she reminded me of an old lady, when asked, how she was doing, always answered "I Can Still Pick Up My Spoon."

It reminded me of an older man (older, is anyone older than I) in my yoga class. I never talk to folks in the class, because, after all it is yoga, and I love the quiet aspect of it. However, since we are usually the first ones there, we learned each other's names and usually exchange pleasantries. Whenever I ask him how he is doing, he ALWAYS answers "I am still breathing."

The older I get, the more filled with gratitude I become. I am grateful for my wonderful husband, and family; grateful for great friends; grateful for former friends who are no longer friends, because they taught me that some folks are in your lives for a season, and when that season is over, they can dry up like the leaves, but unfortunately, in my case, there is no rebirth; (I digress, as usual), I am grateful for old folks who are friends, young folks who are friends, and even the very young friends, like our grands, and the l4 year old I tutor.

But, most of all I am grateful that "I Can Still Pick Up My Spoon." I hope that when I can't do that anymore, that there will be someone who will love me enough to pick it up for me. GRATEFUL!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Humorous and insightful.

Anonymous said...

I will always be there to pick up your spoon, fork, knife or whatever you need. I'm grateful that my family believed and still believe that it takes a village to raise a child. That with all the people you come in contact with that contact happened for a reason to mold our lives in some way. I'm grateful for the "molding" you continue to do in my life.