My wonderful friend (I call her my mother-person) will celebrate her 90th birthday next Thursday, June 6th. She does not want a big celebration, and she told me some time ago, that she will wait until her 91st birthday and celebrate that milestone. What she wants this year is "A Walk in The Park." She actually wants someone to walk with her, in the park near her house, each day of her birthday week. I love the simplicity of that request, and wish I were there to walk with her. What a nature filled way to celebrate becoming ninety. She can celebrate being as sturdy as the trees she will pass, as strong as the roots of those trees, as fragrant as the grass growing, as beautiful as the flowers in the park,and as passionate about the outdoors as any true Miami bred nonagenarian. What a joy to live to be ninety years old. What a blessing to those around her , especially to me. I remember when I first met her, I was just a tiny little somebody, and even then, I thought she was old. Who would have thought that so many years later, she would still be such an integral part of my life.
Who would have thought that she would see me marry, have children and grandchildren. I am so thankful every day that she is here. I don't know if her life has been a "Walk in The Park," but at 90 years old, EVERY DAY is a Walk in the Park. I only wish that I could be there to walk with her, but perhaps, next Thursday, I will take our four grandchildren for a walk in the park in our neighborhood, and I will explain to them, why we are doing it--we are honoring a very old lady. You know that at their age, they think anyone over 21 is a very old lady. Georgiana Johnson Bethel, I love you, and I celebrate you!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So beautiful!!! I have tears in my eyes. I understand that blessing because my blessing is my soon to be 94 year old grandmother. I am thankful and blessed that she is still here to give us her life's lessons and to show us that through faith anything is possible. Happy 90's Birthday Ms. Bethal & Madea!!! Love you both!
Post a Comment