Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Where is Walter Cronkite?
I am getting very annoyed with the news these days. By the time the evening news comes on at 6:30, I have been overwhelmed with all day news. There is CNN, MSNBNC, C-Span, Twitter, FB, and who knows what else, disseminating news all day. It is all so repetitious, even if I don't watch during the day, there is no escape. When the news does come on, it seems like they are just making up things, speculating, and giving us useless information. It seems like each station tries to out-do the other. There is even a local news person, early in the morning, who precedes each statement with "on the iPad." I am going to email to see if they are getting an Apple kickback for using their product.
We never just get the news, we have to listen to everyone's "take" on the news. It's as if folks can't think for themselves anymore. Some even try to give us the news in a conversational format with the newscasters facing each other as if they are in a living room someplace, Oh, please! Then there is the "good news" segments which come on at the end of each newscasts--not that I mind good news, but it is so contrived.
Lately, I just follow most things on Twitter because they give the latest every second. I also follow twitter when I am not interested in hearing all of the useless chatter on the newscasts.It has become my news of choice.
I remember going to a town hall when Katie Couric was in town. The purpose was to get the public's input on her upcoming stint as the primary newscaster. The idea was to find out what folks wanted, and you could stand and give your suggestions. One lady said they don't even need to have a 6:00 newscast because, by then, everyone knows the news already. I said that young people will probably not watch the evening news, because they want to know instantly rather than wait until the late afternoon. They tend to follow on social media or twitter. At the time, I thought both of those comments were not prophetic, but just our chatter, but now, I think we were both correct in our assessment.
I must admit, however, that I do like the first part of GMA, before they start the second hour of frivolity. I like one particular weatherman on a channel in San Diego. I like the commentaries on MSNBC; love my Anderson Cooper on CNN; but even then, it is too much to filter. I don't even think that news is even NEWS anymore.
I WANT WALTER (or Walteniqua) CRONKITE back. One person, once a day, looking into the camera, and giving me the NEWS. Until then, Twitter it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is definitely on point, where are the "journalist?" I do like Anderson Cooper and just love Chris Cuomo and am so glad to see him on CNN, I didn't like how ABC had put him basically to the side. I have always been a news junkie probably because my mom used to have me read the newspaper with her from the time I was four. You are so right about it's just each network trying to beat the other and half the time, they just spew out whatever they THINK, not the actual facts. It is a time that has passed, and you know it is bad, when you here the news stations refer to TMZ as their source!
This is definitely on point, where are the "journalist?" I do like Anderson Cooper and just love Chris Cuomo and am so glad to see him on CNN, I didn't like how ABC had put him basically to the side. I have always been a news junkie probably because my mom used to have me read the newspaper with her from the time I was four. You are so right about it's just each network trying to beat the other and half the time, they just spew out whatever they THINK, not the actual facts. It is a time that has passed, and you know it is bad, when you here the news stations refer to TMZ as their source!
Post a Comment