I applaud the Pope for leaving although it has not been done in almost 600 years. He realized that he could no longer perform his duties because of advancing age and health issues. He has trouble walking, and whenever he spoke, in whatever language, it always appeared to me that he had difficulty. He said that he will spend the rest of his life in prayer. It will be a new thing for the Catholic church, as there will be a living former Pope. "Times change and the people change with them."
When I began my freetirement almost five years ago, I did so with great joy. I loved my work, and knew that I could have stayed longer if I had chosen to do that. I knew, however, that it was time to go. We always know, but many do not leave when they should. Some stay too long, and some leave too early, pressured by those around them, or believing that they should just go because someone else did.
Just like everything else in life, we should do what works best for us. We should follow our instincts, for the most part, and not be influenced by what others think we should do. My decision to leave was one of the best I have ever made. I left without bitterness because I didn't stay one day too long. I had seen too many stay and complain each day, or refer to the"olden days." I never wanted to get to that point. I had seen too many stay too long.
Staying too long does not only apply to a job. Many stay too long in a marriage, visiting someone's home (Oh, how I am glad that I don't have deal with that anymore), or even, sometimes staying too long with old, bad habits. I thank the Pope, (although some are trying to find other reasons why he left), did what he should have done. Now he doesn't have to wear that clothing, which looks sooo heavy and probably weighed him down.I wonder how long it took for them to get him dressed in his Pope regalia. He doesn't have to roll around on the platform to reach the altar. He doesn't have to stand at that window (probably with some folks holding him up, and out of sight). He can enjoy the rest of his life, doing what he wants--praying.
I have known a few 85 year olds who are spry, feisty, in fairly good health, mobile, learners, and doers, but the Pope was not in these categories (well, maybe he was a learner and doer). Perhaps he will be a role model for those who still need to see that we need not "Stay too long." Get out while you are still ahead!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment