Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 7, 2012

Elder Zombies

I never listen to the radio unless I am driving, and I usually listen to NPR. A couple of days ago as I listened, the interview subject was a former journalist who had to be placed in an "assisted living facility" because he had early onset Parkinson's at age 50. He said he had to have help taking a shower, dressing, and doing all of the things he had previously taken for granted Initially, he spent most of his time being depressed, and in order to keep his sanity, he decided to become an observer advocate. Most of the people there were 80 and up (a few in their late seventies), and he said the most depressing part was to see people who had been so vital (doctors, lawyers, PhDs, carpenters, cabinet makers and the like) relegated to this zombie like existence. He spends most of his time playing card games that he has never heard of, just to keep his sanity. He said he does it, not for the card playing, but for the communication. He recalled an incident when he was out--he saw an advertisement for his facility on a bus bench. It showed people dancing--he said he never ever saw anyone dance in all of the years he has been there. He said, what they show on the outside is quite different from what is going on inside, and he was in a fairly fancy place. It all reminded me of one of my favorite shows on PBS, "Waiting for God," which is on every Sunday night. It takes place in a British assisted living place, and Diana, my heroine, lets them get away with nothing. Of course, an elder does not have to be in this place in order to be "zombified." It happens every day when folks look at you as if you must be stupid because you are old.They will deem you invisible, unless you speak up and become an advocate for yourself. Some time ago, a good friend, about 20+ years my senior, told me to never let a doctor begin his/her sentence with "at your age." I will never let anyone begin a sentence with "at your age!" I have known as many dumb and zombified young people as I have known dumb and zombified old people. Unzombie yourself!

No comments: