Friday, September 7, 2012
Bamboo Connectedness
Today I began my fifth year in my Sumi e (Japanese brush painting class). The morning began wonderfully because at 6:00 a.m., an East Coast friend called to tell me that yesterday she received a painting (which my husband framed) I sent her--it was a belated 80th birthday gift. She absolutely loved it and already has it on an easel in her living room.
So, went I went to my class, my confidence level was in the sky (although, many of the people have been in the class for ten years plus, but I digress).
Our subject today was bamboo--the three gentlemen of sumi-e are bamboo, chrysanthemum, and plum. Once you master these three, you are well on your way.
Our teacher always demonstrates whatever we are to paint and engages us in conversation as he is doing it. Today he talked about how bamboo roots intertwine and are connected (anyone who has ever grown bamboo can attest to this). This intertwining of the bamboo represents the connectedness of family. How cool is that!
So, let us "bamboo up."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment