Our grandgirl's middle name, Ifetayo, means "love is worth celebrating." It is Yoruba and she follows the tradition--each of our daughters have Yoruba middle names and all of our grands do too. It was nothing that we asked our daughters to do and when we first asked about it they said "Isn't that what we are supposed to do?" Made us think that all of those trips to Nigeria, when they were growing up, were not in vain. I also have a Yoruba name, given to me by my father-in-law, Aduke which means "One who is cherished by all." I don't know about all of that, but it was nice of him to do that. I rarely use it even though I have a ring with that name engraved on it. The gold is soft and I have broken it twice and had it repaired twice. I have it in a safe place and look at it every now and then.
I digressed! I really wanted to say how true love is worth celebrating all of the time. "Fake love," or what we mistake for love does not deserve celebration. Sometimes it is difficult for some people to distinguish between the two, but when we know it, we know it. The love which should be celebrated is that which supports us emotionally and is there no matter what. The love which should be celebrated is pure, active, patient, kind, lasting, historically based and eternal. I am glad that I know the difference. I am glad that I have love around me that I celebrate each day of my life.
I am so grateful for our new love, Ifetayo. We will certainly celebrate her as we celebrate all of the loves of our lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment