Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 5, 2010

"Don't Let Him Take All Your Stuff"

It is very rare that I write a blog two days in a row, but I just saw the very powerful film "For Colored Girls..." I didn't see the play in the seventies, but I did read the choreopoem before seeing the movie on this its first day.

It was an amazing story about "colored" women and I think it touches upon a lot of issues which women often deal with.

The most powerful statement in the movie (which I wrote on a receipt I had just gotten at Nordies--lack of paper in my purse) was "Don't let him take all your stuff." In almost every case, in one way or another, most of the women gave themselves over to the men in their lives. To some degree, they lost themselves to men. They became what they wanted them to be. They lost a sense of who they are and what they really stand for and believe. Some of those men, they "loved on purpose."

In the end, what they had was the sisterhood. When the men were gone--they had each other. We, as women, must never forget that. Friends remain even when we have lost
ourselves, even when we have let them "walk away with all of our stuff."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very powerful blog and so true!

Anonymous said...

It was the most powerful movie I have seen in my lifetime so far. I could relate to several of the women. Giving myself and my "stuff" to men in my past because I thought that would validate me. I soon realized that only the "God" in me could do that as Kimberly Elise stated so powerfully. Love yourself first so that the "God" in you shines through all the "Devil" that we as "Colored Girls" encounter. When we validate ourselves we validate each other.

Anonymous said...

It was the most powerful movie I have seen in my lifetime so far. I could relate to several of the women. Giving myself and my "stuff" to men in my past because I thought that would validate me. I soon realized that only the "God" in me could do that as Kimberly Elise stated so powerfully. Love yourself first so that the "God" in you shines through all the "Devil" that we as "Colored Girls" encounter. When we validate ourselves we validate each other.

ShayzRebellion said...

This is one movie that I will NEVER EVER see again BUT will talk about for the rest of my life. The movie sickened me to my core yet it enlightened me on so many levels. One thing though, what is worse than letting men take your "stuff" is giving them(those most unworthy) your "stuff" without hesitation or forethought. Needless to say, thank GOD hindsight. It allows you to live AND learn.