Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010

BERMS, "Inside and Outside"

Today we visited the Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon. It was ab out a fifteen minute drive from Portland. We were met there by one of my young friends who works there in a very interesting position.
The Nike campus is situated on many many acres of immaculately groomed grounds. It in barely visible from the outside and is only recognizable by a red swoosh at the main entrance. I think I only saw one other swoosh on the entire campus. Each building is named after a Nike star from Jerry Rice to Bo Jackson. Of course there is a Tiger building and a Michael Jordan building. Most of the buildings are huge and beautiful, but very understated. There is a gym, two soccer fields, an olympic style swimming pool, several dining areas, a child care center and all of the creature comforts necessary to keep a creative work force happy. It is as fine an example of a culture built around a brand as I have ever seen. It seems that anything a worker needs in right there.
The interesting thing is that I almost felt like an outsider. My friend reminded me that once you enter the campus you are "Inside the berm" and that is the Nike berm. Everything within the berm is all Nike. "Inside the berm" requires devotion to Nike during the time you are there--anything not related to Nike is "outside the berm."
It was a fascinating day. I now understand why I am disconnected from my former work--I am now "Outside the Berm." Life outside the berm is as important (if not more) as life inside the berm. We need to always know when we are "in" and when we are out.
We were guests in the Nike Employeees store where shoes are 40% off and everything else is 50% off. That, along with no sales tax, makes for a hefty discount. (Of course, we bought stuff for our grands).Upon entering the store you must show your picture ID (our names had already been submitted) and then you are given a guest pass.One of the rules for entering the store (My friend emailed them to me) is that you are not allowed to wear any competitor's brand. I thought that was odd when I first saw the rule. After being "Inside the Berm," I had a very clear understanding of why that rule is important to Nike. When you are "Inside," you must be totally inside!
How many berms do you have?

No comments: