Today in my drawing class our task was to draw eyes. We had to first draw them from memory without looking at a drawing of eyes. When I first began, as usual, my drawing did not resemble anything which could be easily recognized. I thought my eyes looked like little balls wearing hats. Nevertheless, I was proud of what I had done because at least, to me, it sort of looked like an eye.
The lady next to me heard my laments about one of my "drawn" eyes and told me that she also takes a Japanese drawing class. Her teacher always tells them whenever they draw an eye,a mountain, or whatever, that "Somewhere in the World There is a _____like that."
Using that mantra, I felt the freedom to continue my creative endeavor.
On a grander scale, it once again reminded me of the diversity of the world. Somewhere in the world, there is a person like that, a thought like that, a mother like that, a child like that, a "whatever" like that. Just like I enjoyed my "eye drawing," we should be excited and enjoy the "drawings" that our eyes see!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment