I have just finished five days of hot yoga (Bikram method) and it felt like I was doing yoga poses in the front yard in Miami in the middle of the hottest day of the summer. Our daughters gave me a gift certificate which includes seven consecutive days classes. I took the week-end off and completed five classes--a friend, who has been doing this type of yoga for five years, went with me each day. The first day I attended the 9:00 a.m. class and thought I was going to die. The room is heated to over l00 degrees and the class is 90 minutes long. The poses are nothing like my regular yoga classes--we begin with the standing poses and do them for ONE HOUR.
The next four days were a lot better (it took me two hours to recover the first day--no one told me not to eat two hours before class). I took the 5:50 A.M. classes and that worked a lot better, although I did still spend time on the floor when I felt dizzy.
This kind of yoga has to be good for you because it is no joke. Everyone there swears that it heals whatever ails you, and believe me, it should. It was a challenge and I'm glad I did it. I will resume my regular yoga tomorrow and I am sure it will seem super, super easy. I may try the Bikram again, but I'm a little too cheap to pay for two sets of yoga classes (since I'm still a member of the Y).
If you want to feel like "Hot Salsa" when you get into your car after a yoga session, try hot yoga! Drink lots of water--add electrolytes--I couldn't--that tasted too much like the stuff I had to drink before my colonoscopy :-). The classes are available all over the world--if you're feeling adventurous and want a fabulous work-out, try it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I pass out if I get overheated and as a child had a seizure due to getting overheated. So I don't play with heat.
You did an awesome job, Mrs. O!!! You're my Shero!
There are two types of yoga people....yoga people that get it..and the non-yoga people that think yoga people are a little to alot..just...crazy...
Post a Comment