Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Eye Buying

I am convinced that there is merit in watching what I call "junk television." Like everything else, in excess, it is probably harmful. Nevertheless, I learned an interesting term today as I was watching one of the judge shows. Instead of using the term window shopping, the defendant coined another term "Eye Buying." Isn't that clever?
Even more interesting was that as I read my second newspaper of the day, the Los Angeles Times, I noticed a very long article about how people in Beijing, China, visit the IKEA store as a day trip. They go to the store, take a book, lie in a bed or on a couch, in the store, and read it. Every week-end looky-loos pour into the showroom to use the displays (part of IKEA's charm is that it is very interactive, sort of a Legoland for adults and children).Not only do they "eye buy," but they can also get a cheap meal, a cheaper hot dog and of course, Chinese specialties.The article stated that IKEA "stands for a kind of lifestyle. People don't necessarily what to buy it, but they want to at least experience it."
How much better off we would be if we practiced "Eye Buying" rather than spending money on things we probably don't even need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm an expert at 'eye buying'. 'Eye buying' has saved me a lot of money. My eye buying is a lil different. I'll put an item in my basket or walk around the store wth it. By the time I'm ready to ck out or lve the store I've had a chance to really think abt whthr I really nd tht particular item. Nine times out of ten I don't. Just walking around wth it made me feel good! :)