Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Fly with gray-haired pilots"

We all know the story of the incredible Captain Sully, but I was reminded of this feat as I read the newest edition of my AARP magazine. I was reminded of how seniors continue to be devalued in this society if we do not speak with a strong voice. There seems to be a move affront to take away "seniority" privileges which have been afforded to teachers--the rationale, from what I can gather, is that old means ineffective and new means enthusiastic,effective and better. I think we can be ineffective when we're young and just as ineffective when we're old. This new look at seniority appears to be a way to infuse everything with new, younger participants. I know that a mix of the old and the new has great advantages. The wisdom of elders, the experience of elders, and yes, the enthusiasm of elders is still vital to a healthy workplace and society.
I value my younger friends, but I also value my older friend--we can all learn from one another.
I harbor deep resentment against those who make comments like "Perhaps we need to get rid of all of the old teachers," "He/she can no longer do "whatever" because he/she is old. Ironically enough, these age issues don't seem to matter in Congress or in the Supreme Court. Souter is retiring at the YOUNG age of 69--very young for a retiring Justice. The majority of the crew of the plane on the Hudson was senior--they did not panic, knew what to do and used their vast experience to do what was necessary.
One of my role models is Diana Trent, the feisty lady on my British show, "Waiting for God." I hope to have the fight she has as I climb this aging ladder. Like her, I will fly with gray haired pilots.
P.S. If you want to be removed from my blog list, let me know-I know that some of you are too busy to read them--it won't hurt my feelings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should send this to that guy who is on the end of 60 minutes.(I don't want to say the "old" guy) It sounds like one of his commentaries. Very good and insightful

Anonymous said...

I value the wisdom of "older" people. I pray that that I'm blessed to have someone say the same about me. :)