I am fascinated by the story of the forty-seven year old Scottish woman with the magnificent voice. She was featured on the British version of American Idol and was greeted by catcalls and laughter when she first appeared on the stage as a perceived "frumpy," "ugly," woman. When she opened her mouth to sing "I Dreamed a Dream" from "Les Miserables," everyone, including Simon Cowell, one of the judges, was in awe.
This event confirmed even more the greatest lesson I learned in thirty-seven years--we cannot judge ANYTHING by outward appearances. Thanks to You-Tube (I continue to love technology), there she was for the world to see.
Pretty often masks ugly and ugly can mask pretty. Feigned intelligence can mask ignorance and "perceived ignorance" can mask intelligence.
This self proclaimed virgin, who has never been kissed has proved that neither is necessary for the emergence of a beautiful voice.
Talent, like most things, should come from within and we should never be surprised when it presents itself from what we consider "unlikely" sources.
I hope that the flowering of this heretofore closed bud, will again open our minds to the beauty of recognizing and honoring diversity. Forty Seven Year old virgins of the world--UNITE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Did you see where she is getting offers for free makeovers. It's so disgusting. We a really a superficial society.
Post a Comment