Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 15, 2009

CaringJoy

I have never fancied myself as a nurse/caregiver. I have always preferred taking care of the business side of illness rather than the nursing side. I liked typing out the medication list, making the appointments, and taking notes at the doctor's office. The day-to-day caregiving, was not what I believed I was very good at doing.
I am finding such joy in taking care of my sweet husband during his rehabilitation from knee surgery. One thing I have found is that whatever personality you have doing the good times is the same one you will have during difficult times. He is the perfect patient--does what he is supposed to do, cooperates, is not demanding and did a lot of things pre-surgery to make things easier for me. He labeled all of his cereal so that I would know what mixtures he wanted--I knew that he ate cereal every morning, but didn't know how he mixed it.
I have had to do grocery shopping (that's what he likes to do that) and found out that a former student works at my neighborhood Vons and has been there for four years. I didn't even know where to look for specific groceries because I hadn't shopped in so long, except for occasionally picking up one or two items. I have learned that he shops at at least 5 or 6 stores depending upon where the sales are. Milk at Walgreens, fruit at Henry's, sodas at Keils, Capri Suns at Food for Less, soup at Vons. What a day I had--but it was all joyful. I learned so many new things.
I have also learned a lot about where things are in the house. I have to get things for him, so now I know where he keeps everything in his office--I never went through his things before.
I have become an expert at "all things downstairs" because I have been spending a lot of time there. I think I have lost at least 5 pounds already from going up and down the stairs each day.
The most amazing part of all of this is the absolute joy I am feeling from taking care of him--I know that he would do the same for me. "Ain't love something?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! It just show that no matter how many years you are married to someone you can always learn something new about them and find the joy in the learning. Yes, Love sho is something!! :)

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your writing; those blogs were wonderful, and I could actually feel the wonderment and love of which you spoke in your words and expressions.

Grace said...

How blessed you are!!! This blog gives me hope...maybe one day,God willing I will have a husband again, that I would cherish and KNOW that he cherishes me too!!!