I have never been able to draw anything beyond a stick figure, although I am creative in many other ways. It was a goal, because I enjoy art, to learn how to draw. I previously thought that art was a gift and that it could not be learned--either you had it or you didn't. All of my artsy friends told me that this was completely untrue, but I never believed them. I decided to take an art class, in my "freetirement" as part of my exploration of "new worlds." I am delighted to say that my friends were right--anyone, even I, can learn to draw.
The watercolor class on our cruise was my inspiration--I learned that it would be good to know how to draw before doing watercolor. I like my teacher because when I did my first drawing she told me "I can see that you are abstract." I know that was her way of telling me that my drawing sucked, but it made me feel good. Gawd, pats on the back do work. She tells us what to do and then allows us to get into our "own boxes," much unlike the sucky quilting teacher I had a few years ago. We all had to get into her quilting box, and of course I revolted and did my own work at home after listening to her explanations of things. Anyway, my husband, Tony can recognize what I have drawn--that inspires me because he is an artist. I thank my friends--Cran, for the art books and pencils, Cathy, for the inspiration, and of course, Tony, for always telling me that my work is nice, even when I know it isn't.
The most amazing thing about this art adventure is that I am seeing the world in a different way. When I walked on the beach at Coronado, the clouds, the water and the sand formed a picture. The sunset is now a picture, even every day objects are pictures. I still have trouble drawing a box, but I know that eventually I will get it right. I am now a "sketchbook journaler"
and am finding great joy in producing visual images. It's really just like writing--just another way of doing it. I liked what the Swiss painter, Paul Klee, said "Drawing is taking a line for a walk." I will keep "walking the lines."
poyes (that is the signature I use for my "work." :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Leave your comment
I felt something similar to what you described, a number of years ago, when we used to take our group walks. One of the times that we walked downtown near the convention center, I was looking at all the new buildings , including the convention center. (It must have been in the 80's.) I was thinking that some of them were beautiful and some were ugly. What made me see some one way and not the other? Then I had an "Aha moment" and saw that it was their geometry that made them that way. Their proportions, the scale, the blending of the angles and repetition of certain shapes. That's when I started having my students do their projects on the geometry of architecture for humanities geometry. To this day, I still look at buildings and even houses from that viewpoint, seeing how all the parts fit together for either a pleasing or displeasing experience.
Pat,
Good thoughts! It sounds like you have found a good teacher! I'm glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying the process.
Ok Poyes!!! :) How nice it is to see everything as a picture. Today's youth should be so imaginative and creative. That is the only I dislike about modern technology. If you allow it to, it can take away your ability to imagine something and then create it as you see it. That is something I think we learn as children. To use your imagination and create your own fun. Thanks for sharing. :)
Post a Comment