Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lil Wayne is Not Lil

This morning I watched the Early Show rather than my usual Good Morning America because a friend flew to New York to be interviewed but unfortunately, she was not on the show. All was not lost, however because I saw a segment by Katie Couric featuring Lil Wayne. When the segment appeared, I was multitasking as usual, speaking to my former student and friend who calls me every single morning to make sure we are fine (my, how I appreciate that) AND watching the show. As I was talking to her, I began to tell her about this face-tattooed young Black man being interviewed. I had no idea who he was. As I began to talk to her about the segment, she told me that it sounded like Lil Wayne. As I listened, I found out that she was right--OMG, I thought Lil Wayne was Lil. I found out once again, that we can never judge people by what they look like or what we think they should look like. I found out a lot about this young businessman /rapper, a graduate of the University of Houston.
Later in the day, I decided, on the "spur of the moment" to go see Gran Torino even though I'm not a Clint Eastwood groupie. I had heard so much about the movie--most people talked about this old man with the racist comments. It was oh so much more than that. I saw young and old beginning to understand one another. The old man, from another time, when his neighborhood was different, learned to accept others much unlike himself. He had judged them as they could have judged him. I saw the old learning from the young and the young learning from the old. Behind his gruff exterior, there was love. It reminded me once again that love is an action word--not defined so much by what we say, but by what we do. True Love is Do Love. I hope I never get too old to appreciate the wisdom of the young and I hope that the young will never become so narrow that they think they cannot learn from the old.
I loved the movie--I loved the lessons--I loved the love!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the best blog!!! It brought tears to my eyes. "Why?" you ask. We as adults, sometimes forget what it is to be young. And the young, sometimes, don't take the time to get to know the "olders". :) If we as a people, especially black people, open up our hearts/minds to each other we would learn so much and be more accepting of each other. That would automatically allow us to "plant" more love. We would have no choice. We would be addicted to the love and want more of it.

Anonymous said...

Great blog...and a great movie...I loved it too...I think Clint Eastwood gets better as he gets older, I was not too fond of his younger stuff..spaghetti westerns, Dirty Harry, et. al.
Thanks for sharing,

Anonymous said...

I Love Lil' Wayne. ... always makes fun of me because I do, but he is totally smart, but just looks crazy .

Anonymous said...

We saw Grand Torino with our movie group a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it too. I thought that Clint played the part very well. He certainly grew and changed as a result of his interaction with his neighbors. I think that interaction with others is the best way to understand others and their actions and to feel more comfortable with them. The behavior of some in the audience was disappointing to me. Some people laughed when racist comments and names were used. I certainly didn’t see anything funny about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Your Blog was great please always include me I really enjoy reading them.