Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

O! What an Inauguration!
This may be a long one!. The last three days have been perhaps the most memorable in my lifetime. I went to Baltimore Sunday, was hosted by a former student and her family and began my inauguration adventure. I went to the hotel in Baltimore Monday morning at 10 a.m and was met there by both daughters, their husbands, our three grandchildren and two of our daughters' friends. Yes, there were that many people in our two bedroom suite--there was plenty of room for everybody!. From the moment I arrived in Baltimore, there was a feeling that there was something beautiful in the air. Everyone was smiling, everyone looked proud, everyone seemed purposeful. The hotel was festive with the front desk adorned with red white and blue bunting. People seemed more helpful, more concerned about others and generally, appeared more hopeful than ever.
Monday was a big day. My friend (my daughters asked me to give her the second ticket), my son-in-law, my daughters friends and I took the Marc train (the inexpensive way to get from Baltimore to Washington. My son-in-law carried a clothing bag with all of our fancy clothes for the South Carolina ball that night. We waited in line for one hour and a half in front of the Longworth building to pick up the two tickets for the inauguration. Again, such a fabulous aura--no pushing, harsh words, impatience--there were no strangers among us. When we finally reached Susan's office (after going through airport like security), we saw her, took pictures again and even took pictures next to the fake Obama cardboard cut-out. She had all kinds of California snacks--salsa, guacamole, the works. We sat, mingled and ate. Then we went into her office to get the tickets. They were in large manila envelopes in a cardboard box (only 150 tickets were distributed from her office--it was totally random). You chose and envelope and that determined which color ticket you would get. I chose silver--I was delighted because I met a friend there (he works for a California senator) and he gave me two extra tickets--they were silver as well. So, I gave our daughters the extra two tickets. The tickets are really "frame worthy"--beautiful. We were also given programs for the inauguration, also "frame worthy."
My son-in-law and I left Washington via the Metro for Alexandria, Viriginia and the home of an old friend of 40 years (he actually drove his uncle's limo for our wedding). We ate , visited, dressed and were picked up by his driver and taken to the South Carolina States' Ball. We arrived in front of the Smithsonian's at 8:15 (the even began at 8). It was fabulous--a great band, great food, and all you could drink (if that were your thing). If I didn't believe that what is happening represents a new day, I would have believed after this event. South Carolineans, Black and White, exemplifying this magical time, a time that is so difficult to describe, but interesting to observe. It exceeded my expectations. It was worth the price of admission.
Tuesday was the big day--into Washington on the 6:30 train. In line by 8:00 a.m. It took a quite some time to find the "silver gate." All gates were coded by color for ticket holders. My friend and I went together and our daughters came later. I have never seen so many people in one spot before. We did not enter the mall until 11:15 and the program began at ll:30. We were close, but we still couldn't see much :-). The "being there" was the thing. There was so much goodwill, emotion (I took six quilt pieces from my great-grandmother's quilt to represent all who were not here to see this), camraderie, conversation, picture taking, tears, laughter, quiet, joy. It was a spiritual revolution. When President Obama spoke, there was not a sound in the crowd. The birds flew, the sun was bright and the warmth of the moments also warmed body and soul.
My biggest fear was that I would freeze to death, but I felt as if I were in front of a burning fireplace. It was a most magnificent and incredible day. Two million people in one spot, celebrating, but yet, in awe of the moment.
My reflection on this day: The "Patchwork" was quite evident--people coming together for the common good. I never talk to people on a plane--there was a young black woman sitting next to me on the first leg of my flight back home. I very casually asked her what her job was (because she talked about working in two cities). She is a neurosurgeon, Harvard trained, 37 years old. Knows the president because of U. of Chicago connections. On the other side of me was a woman from Nashville with an 8 year old daugher who wanted advice on how to get her into a good college. The conversation we had throughout the flight was interesting--this president has begun a new kind of discourse. We will now talk about very meaningful things and don't have to "lie anymore" as the young woman told me. Now we can really believe the things we have always said--that we can be whatever we want. On the second leg of my plane I sat next to an Indian woman (she did not speak English). The lady on the other side of me was crocheting squares. The Indian lady motioned to her to ask, with her eyes, if she could crochet. She took the needle and the yarn and began to crochet at rapid speed. I saw another community--a "crochet community." She finished two large squares before we landed, still never saying a word. When I mentioned this to the lady next to me she said that is what this new day is all about the "oneness" of us all.
There was an interesting article in the sports section of the USA today--its point was that athletes will no longer be the role models. Young people will know that they can play sports "on the side" and it does not have to be a destination (I have written about this before). I am excited by this next generation--they will really make the change that we 60's people made during our time. I am excited the the struggles of our generation made all of this possible. I am not stuck in that time--that was then--I love the beauty of the diversity I see. I
I saw this patchwork in action--two million strong--united by hope and change--REAL hope and change. The possibilities are endless. I loved being there, feeling that I was a part of history. I loved having my children and grandchildren there because I know that it was a defining moment for them.
It was an incredible moment, and I wanted to share even though it's almost indescribale. It was

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your first-hand account of this historical and wonderful event. I'm so glad you had a great time and all went smoothly for you and your daughters.
Blessings,
Al Meeh

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with me! I'm glad to hear you went and it sounds like you had an amazing time both there and the surrounding events (including flight observations.) My friends who went said they had a magical time. Here is to a new dawn.........

Anonymous said...

was so thrilled and excited for you. Thanks so much for sending it, as I relived your moment in history and felt as if I were there with you. As you know, I voted for our new President and supported him all the way. Was as exciting as the night Hugh, and I stayed awake to see if Truman made it to the White House. At the time we were living in Lowell, Ore. a 100% Republican town. The poling place was in the general store and as everyone came in to vote they would quietly announce them and then say Republican. When Dad and I went in to vote, we were new in this small farm town, they bellowed out our names and said Democrat. The looks we got said a lot.... Well, the next day we couldn't wait to go into town to the general store, even though we didn't need anything, just to see the expressions on the locals faces. We were very nice and polite, but I'm sure they got our message..... Ah, we felt so good.................No one said a word to us, but they did nod politely.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about the article in USA Today, was along the lines of what I've been thinking, and hearing some of the guys like D.L. Hughley and some of his guests talking in the same vein and some articles in the L.A. Times. that talked about a high profile family model and kids maybe beginning to think it is cool to do the best you can rather than adapt to the peers who scoff when you try, etc. It may take awhile, but it sure makes it seem more possible. I had been discussing these thoughts with a new librarian who is Mexican-American, graduate of UCLA, and grew up in E. L.A. a few weeks ago. His wife teaches at Contra Costa College. He told me the next time I was in to sub that his wife had talked to him about the same idea of the influence Obamas election to the Presidency will have just after I had mentioned my thoughts at the library.

I hope it is okay, I am going to forward your blog to Polly and Betsy as I know they are interested in hearing about your excursion to the celebration. I told them that you were going to be there.