Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Booker T. Washington High School: This Place



I was in Miami last week to attend a the Booker T. Washington Living Legends Award Gala, and it made me think of how my life was framed by having been born, and “made” in Miami.

Since I left Miami, I have been to many places, and seen many things, but this place, Miami, is the closest to my heart.

We have lived in San Diego for over 45 years, but whenever someone asks me where I am from I always reply that I LIVE in San Diego, but I am FROM Miami!

My High School was the place which made me whatever I have become. This is the place where I understood the value of being taught by people who looked like me. This is the place where I learned that it is nice to be important, but more important to be nice. This is the place which allowed a brain to be the great equalizer. It did not matter where you lived, how much you had materially, but it was the brain which mattered.

I thank God for this place, and throughout my career, I have tried to duplicate this place by being that Hazel Davis, that Georgiana Bethel, and so many others, who valued us and made us believe that we were truly somebody. I hope that somehow I have created a PLACE for others.

In the meantime, I will always be grateful for this Place, which, as our school song states—it was our "Source  of Inspiration."

I was delighted and humbled to be presented as a Living Legend. Because it was from “This Place,” it was very very special.

No comments: