Covering the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament, featuring Serena's return, after fourteen years, was a highlight of my freetirement years. I say no to a lot of things I have been asked to do since I free tired, and am very good at saying no. When I say yes, it has to be an experience with which I am enamored, either because it is new, something I have never done before, or I find it somewhat intriguing. In this case, it was all of them , new because I had never acted as a reporter before, and intriguing, because the very thought of being there in a role other than spectator was fascinating.
I was not in the least disappointed. Spending time in that press room with all of the professionals, I did not at any time feel that I was a first timer. I have found that most things in life are far easier than people would have us believe. I felt quite at home, knew that I could write, and it just fit in with my genuine curiosity about how things work. It was interesting to see the lack of people of color in the room--it is just in my nature to observe those kinds of things. There were representatives from all over the world, representing all kinds off media, and obviously, many of them "travel the circuit," and they know one another. Yet, I did not feel like an "outsider" at any time. I think having confidence in oneself is one of the greatest qualities a person can have, because you can feel comfortable wherever you are.
We did not have our individual work stations, but were seated in comfortable high chairs, facing the "center court," the only court in stadium 1. We were able to see the entire stadium, and were also able to walk outside and sit. The room was soundproof because we could not hear anything going on outside, although there were television monitors everywhere.
Our job (my partner, Shana) was to go into the interview rooms when the players finished their matches. There was an announcement made letting you know when a player would be available. We filled out several sheets, one for each player, we wanted to interview. They pretty much stuck to those sheets, although you could go in the room for any player they called. We initially thought we would do one on one, but that was only on the very first day of the tournament when they had "open access" day.
The interview room was about the size of a classroom. The player was brought in by a "handler" who said "Questions for …." Then anyone could ask a question--the ones I found most fascinating were the ones which were not tennis related. "You travel with your dog?" "What makes an opponent great?" Loved the answer to that one "You would have to ask her parents." "How does it happen that a tennis player has a partnership in a bass fishing store?" It was quite something to see the players up close and personal--the room was never full, even for the heavyweights. They all look quite different from their demeanor on court. They were very engaging--probably had heard most of the questions a thousand times, and very gracious. I changed my opinion of some, based upon this experience.
I took notes the old fashioned way with a small notebook, and typed them all up when I got back to the hotel. There were transcribers in the room, and the transcripts were made available. I noticed that some of the media people relied on the transcripts, but English teacher that I am, I preferred my own notes. I understand that the transcripts are always available on the website.
Watching the matches in person, I noticed that the balls come harder and faster. The grunts do not sound nearly as irritating as they do on television. The views from almost everywhere in the stadium are very good (My husband was sitting in general admission opposite from me, and aside from the sun, it was a great seat--of course, he found shady places to sit). The area where the players sit with the umbrella is a lot smaller than it looks on television. I loved seeing the camera which moved across the court suspended by a wire.
One of the friends I met when I went into the hotel lobby each day around 5:30 a.m., told me that the French Open's stadium is the most intimate, and there are wires and cords everywhere. She and another lady, who worked for Nike, were my early morning companions. The Nike lady is in charge of tennis and has worked there for over ten years, and had played tennis at UCLA. She knew all of the players, and mentioned them as if she were talking about a good friend, but not in an arrogant way. She said Serena is a diva, and deservedly so. Said she is very, very nice, and if you see her in a restaurant, she will talk to you when she finishes her meal :-). The other lady, from Maui, is also a tennis buff, and has attended every Grand Slam. I think it is so wonderful when you can follow something about which you are passionate. They were my early morning tennis pals--we exchanged names, even though the possibility of us ever meeting again, is very slim, but then again, who knows?
The hotel was the press hotel, but I was told that some of the players were there too, although I did not see anyone I recognized. I am sure that a lot of the houses are rented for this tournament because it seems as if all of Palm Springs was full of tennis enthusiasts. The restaurants, and the streets of Indian Wells were full, but only when matches were not in session.
I stayed up later than my usual 7:00 bedtime in order to get my "copy" done (getting the lingo down), and to just rehash the day with my partner and husband.
Some work is work, and other work is LOVE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You were like a kid in a candy store. Didn't know which one to try first! :-)
Post a Comment