Thankful at Seventy
Today was an incredible day as I began my seventh decade. Although I planned to do absolutely nothing to celebrate this birthday on the actual day, I was humbled by the outpouring of love and good wishes. I decided to meander along with my normal day, although my husband had breakfast ready for me at 7:30 A.M. (great since he never comes downstairs until 10:00 A.M.—pure love). My art group, prepared a marvelous surprise celebration, and my Facebook page was unbelievable.
I know that I am an extremely blessed woman, and I am appreciative of it all, and never ever take it for granted. The people I love most were the first very early telephone callers. Four people sang on the phone, our grandgirls sent a video which I understand was one of four they did in order to choose the correct one. My husband, as usual, hid all of the cards which came in the mail (that gives him great joy), and they were opened as we ate dinner. I always prefer dinner at home on special occasions. He asks what I want, and he goes to the restaurant to get it—again, pure love.
Our daughter called in the evening to say she was tired, because my birthday was too long. I thought that was funny until my husband told me the same thing. At first I didn’t understand what they meant, but after thinking about it I realized that they shared my entire day, from the early morning right into the evening. It was indeed a family affair.
I thank all of you who gave a kind word, who acknowledged an old lady going into decade number seven, and for always being an inspiration to me. I have always just always lived my life my way. I have always been the same person everywhere, home, work, church, or wherever—never knew how to be any other way. It has been that consistency of being, of valuing, of caring, of appreciating, of thankfulness, of humility, of never ever expecting anything in return, which has brought me this far. I enjoy every moment of the journey.
The most interesting thing about being Seventy, is that within my head, I am that same person. There are certain changes which age may bring—I don’t want to drive at night (I never liked driving anyway), I am conscious of my health and try to take care of myself. I am thankful for my health, for a very lovely and supportive husband, daughters, and grandchildren, friends, ( present as well as those who have been deleted from my life), Former Mrs. O Students, and all of the people from my past who all made me who I was, who is really who I still am.
There are no words to express my sincere thanks to all of you for November 3, 2014; Although I did not celebrate in a formal way today, Mr . O and I will travel to China next week for ten days. That is my seventieth year celebration—what we love most—travel. It is not a new thing for us, since we have travelled all over the world from the time our children were babies , but now we can do it with more abandon, and without worrying about calendars.
Thank you, I love you, and God has been so good to me, and I thank Him for the blessings he has provided during these seventy years. I also thank him for any pit stops along the way as well because those strengthened me.
I look forward to the future, because the best is always yet to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Just Beautiful!! Some things don't need additions/subtractions! Your Bday blog says it all
Your blog says it all Mrs O!
Mrs O, to celebrate you on this new milestone brings a smile to my heart. You show us all how to enjoy life, through the hills and the valleys. Watching how you embrace your life and those who have the pleasure to know you is beyond uplifting, so in your words Mrs. O. "Just keep living!"
��
Post a Comment