Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Drawing Life

My sweet friend, a member of our drawing group, the Dee Gees, sent me a wonderful piece by William Brice. It looks like the commentary next to a museum piece. One interesting quote is that "drawing can capture the fleeting feeling and record the idea forming. A notebook of drawings is, in this sense, a diary of response." When I first began to "draw," I tried to draw something each day and kept a drawing notebook. It worked for more than a year, but when I looked back, I realized that what I had created was a pictorial diary. I could look at each drawing and know exactly where I was and what I was doing when I drew the piece. He spoke about how "easy generalizations are dispelled as the hand moves with marvelous particularity in response to the feelings that direct it." How nice it would be if, in life, as in art, generalizations could be dispelled by the movement of a hand. If as he states, "The surprising complexity of nature, our nature, replenishes drawing, my nature must not be very complex because I am still awaiting the replenishing. On the other hand, perhaps my drawing has been replenished and I have not noticed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That one is really deep, Mrs. O. I think your life is replenished daily with the drawings of those in your life and you in our lives. The waving of your hand as you draw represents, to me, what we go through daily, and the results of your drawings are reflected on each page. :)