I have never written a blog in anyone's memory, but today I feel driven to do so in honor of my friend, Vannetta Griffin, who would be celebrating her sixty-third birthday this Friday, the 6th of July, but that celebration will not take place here, but in someplace so much greater.
When I first joined the church, Vannetta and Harold Moore came to my classroom to welcome me to the church. I asked them "How did you know? It was then that I found out that the church published the names in the church bulletin. That act of kindness stayed with me for a very long time.
She was a sister in Christ, a member of our SICL (Tuesday night Bible study) class, who ALWAYS did her homework. No matter what the assignment of scripture, Vannetta could always be counted upon to have it done. She took her study very seriously. She was a treasure in our class.
Vanetta was the consummate outdoors woman. Her idea of fun was a camping trip with the RV club. She liked to ski, fish, and do anything which related to outdoors. She always promised to take me fishing, but alas, we never had a chance to do it. Santee Lakes was one of her favorite places, and ironically enough, I took our grandchildren there this past Friday, and I had NEVER been there before although we live close. The irony is that, we know that it was not ironic--it was where I was supposed to be--someone was trying to tell me something.
I am thankful that I was able to visit her during her hospitalization, in her home, and in her mother's home during her illness. I am thankful for all of the lunches we shared, the telephone conversations, the visits and the friendship. She was one of the genuinely nice people! I knew her as a parent, having taught both of her children; as a colleague, because she worked at Morse during the time I was there; but most of all, I knew her as a woman who enjoyed her life--totally. She was a supreme mother, grandmother and daughter.
Folks have called to ask if I'm ok--I tell them that I am ok because I know she is ok. When she was initially diagnosed a short 4 1/2 months ago, she called me and told me that she was at peace. She would do whatever the doctors asked, but she knew it wasn't in her hands. That simple sentence also gave me peace.
I will miss her, but I know that she is fishing in SAINTEE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment