Thursday, April 19, 2012
Big We
Today was very exciting because I saw the Dalai Lama at San Diego State. I was interested in seeing him when he was at Emory, but I was not in Atlanta at the time. The tickets were very difficult to get, as most tickets are these days,thanks to scalping on Craigslist. However, a former student friend surprised me with a ticket when I returned from Boston.
We are on a little staycation in Little Itsly for a few days so I took the trolley very early this morning and arrived at 7:30. The trolley from Old Town was packed, all heading to the same place. Great signage everywhere to lead us to the arena. After I got in line, I couldn't even see the end of the line.
The doors opened at 7:45 and I found my great seat. I was so close that I didn't have to look at the big screen. We were told beforehand that the doors would close by 9:00, but, alas, that did not happen. By 9:15, every seat was taken. The seating czpacity is over 10,000 (googled it).
When he entered, he allowed those with him to go before him, a lesson in humility. After the introduction, he approached the podium, wearing a San Diego State visor.
His topic was "Upholding Universal Ethics And Compassion In Challenging Times." It was interesting to me that alongside him at the podium was his translator. His English was perfect, but when a concept escaped him, he nodded, spoke in his language, and was then given the word in English.
The series is called "Compassion Without Borders."
I was struck by his humor, humility, and "just snother old guyness." It was refreshing in this increasingly ME world.
Thoughts which I found interesting: 1. If we forget, there is no need to forgive, it is already done 2. More than anything, we need human relationsgips, especially between parents and children 3 If there are problems in the family, they should be solved in the family, up to the family of an 4 The most importabt thing a person can achieve in life is peace 5 Children need affection and should be made to feel like citizens of the world 6 the best way to find tbe right path if you have lost your way is to know that the future is open, and although there is no guarantee, be open and find a different way with self confidence 7 The way to let go of tbe pain of tbe past is to not let it repeat, To lose hope is negateve, to strengthen the heart is positive. 8 truth and honesty are vital. An honest and truthful life allows us to face all 9. We need creative change. Change one, then the community ...
He said that it is up to this generation because he has one eye here and the other eye on the next life.
I was inspired by his global view, as well as by his respect for all religions and all people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank you Mrs. "O" for sharing this information. WOW!!!
Post a Comment