Our three weeks' adventure convinced me once more that the world is becoming increasingly small. The internet has had an amazing impact on world-wide communication. Although I didn't take a computer, iPod or iPhone, I did use internet cafes (called internet points in Europe) to communicate with our family and special friends. I did not take a book, but instead, took my drawing pad, sat on our balcony and drew what was of interest to me. Random thoughts:
1. My husband and I travel so well together. We still know how to do and see everything without being bogged down with "tours."
2. Ships are like greyhound buses which stop at every town. Four countries and 9 cities--no packing--effortless.
3. Queen Victoria--too many formal nights--very British, but lovely.
4. Loved our family run hotel in Rome. The big one in Mestre (Venice) was also nice.
5. Watched the MLK dedication from our stateroom while in Athens.
6. Loved Istanbul and Izmir, perhaps because they were more "Third Worldly"--although that term no longer exists. The Grand Bazaar is amazing.
7. Greek Isles are beautiful, especially Santorini, formed from a volcanic explosion. The water was the deepest navy blue I had ever seen.
8. Rome--Tony's favorite. I was so impressed with his architectural knowledge. It was like having my own personal art guide. He also knew about every Catholic icon and every Muslim icon.
9. The Blue Mosque is incredible.
10. Turkish baths hurt--relaxation beyond relaxation (Tony did it, I didn't).
11. Who was carrying all of those bricks in Rome? How many mouths could have been fed with the money used to furnish the Vatican?
12. Naples--beautiful. I hate pizza, but had it in Naples, the birthplace--best I have ever eaten.
13. Don't like animals walking around in outdoor cafes.
14. I Love Rick Sieves
15. I love my husband's orthopedist.
16. There is a time for everything--this was our time to do this part of Europe (although it was our fourth visit to the continent). We called this trip the "We Forgot About Ourselves Trip" and "Postnies." We would not have been able to do it with the old knees.
17. Had not walked so much in twenty years.
18. Most challenging and wonderful walks--to the top of the Acropolis with so many different surfaces and walking the l and 3/4 miles around the wall which surrounds the old city in Dubrovnik (another beautiful city in Croatia). Thanks to Rick Sieves, I knew where the elevator was and we didn't have to climb the Spanish steps.
19. Rome is a city/museum!
20. Saw everything, did what we wanted, appreciated the beauty of traveling with each other, had great table mates, love hop on/hop off buses, love public transportation, loved doing extensive research before the trip--including purchasing transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port (bus and train).
21. Tony took 750 pictures. He was interested in buildings; I was interested in clothes hanging on lines. I grabbed the camera many times--I never cared about pictures before.
22. Venice--just like the pictures. Enjoyed Mestre across the bridge--very unVenice-like.
23. Inspired us to take our grands and their parents on a cruise next November.
24. We know where we will go next.
25. Even though I'm more of a "developing country" sort of girl, this was the right time to do this trip given my new interests.
26. Missed the riots in Athens (were there on Sunday and that's a day off, even for demonstrations). Missed the earthquake in Turkey, although it was in Eastern Turkey and we were in Western. Interesting to see a city which spans two continents.
27. Romance languages are great. Italian was easy to read and translate, but not so easy to hear and understand without paying close attention to slow talkers. It was interesting to see Greek letters--reminded me of pledging and having to learn the alphabets. I did not feel linguistically isolated as I did when we first went to Paris.
28. Everyone was extremely helpful and gracious. My favorite directions--in Venice--"Go straight, and ask again."
29. Only one person mentioned the President. When we went through the Panama Canal, everyone, everywhere, mentioned him, but then, that was right after the election.
30. Came back with l8 snow globes since the grandgirls collect them. I hope they start collecting something which weighs less. We had to pack them, because they can't go in carry-ons. Fortunately, they all arrived whole--better than the ones we shipped to them from Seattle (which was a good pre-cation).
Enough--thankful for a healthy and perfect journey--one of our best. We were surprised that everyone thought we were gone too long--who knew?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment