Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 12, 2011

New Old Friends

Some time ago a childhood friend gave me pillow embroidered with the phrase "Old friends are the best friends." Although I have lost some old friends I once thought of as good friends, I cherish the new old friends I seem to encounter.

Tonight we went to a seventieth birthday party-- it had fabulous hours 4-9. There were probably 200 people rotating throughout the house, patios, back and front yards.

As we huddled around the several food stations ( there was even a room set aside where you could decorate your own cupcake), we saw a
friend my husband had not seen in over twenty years. They both started as young architects at the same firm. When I first met him, he realized that we had met at a party in Tempe, Arizona. He was someone we grew up with in San Diego. (I had seen him at a restaurant a year ago).

After spending some time at the party, he and his #3 wife invited us to their home just around the corner. It was a Cliff May house and absolutely beautifully magnificent.

We had coffee and great conversation, and it was as if we had been together all of this time--it was as if no time had passed and we were all 30 again. I thought of the pillow! Old true friends are really the best friends! I cherish them and am so happy for the relationships I have been fortunate to enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You planted good quality seeds back then and that is why they are still strong. Some people sow seeds everywhere they go but their seeds are inferior. They won't have any true old friends. It is your reward for being a true, new friend in the beginning.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we are "old friends" :)