Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Brooms and Old Brooms

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she has so many quotes from her grandmother. I was telling her about my vacuum cleaner which does not appear to work anymore. My other friend has an old vacuum cleaner she loaned me which is much older than my non-working one. The quote "A new broom will sweep clean, but an old one will carry the dirt" was her grandma's quote and it certainly applies to more than vacuum cleaners.

I attended an AARP even last week and was in the presence of over 2000 "old folks." There were a lot of "young folks" there too, but most of them worked for the various organizations which were involved in the event. As I noticed the gray haired ones at the event, I thought about all of the knowledge present in that room. The more I live, the more I learn the value of what old folks know. Perhaps it is because I am now one of them. It is rather amusing to watch young folks who "think they know," but then I remember that I was once one of them too. I put this quote on my FB page and am anxious to see what my young friends will say about it. I wonder if they will truly understand it or be able to relate to it. They should all hope that we have an old broom in our lives to "carry the dirt" because even when we think things have been swept clean, there is always a little dirt left.

No comments: