I was amused by one of my FSF's (Former Student Friends) story about a relative. He is driving to Northern California up the 101. This highway has a beautiful view, I've been told, but it is much too scary for me. I have never taken the drive because of that reason. Although his wife is flying, he still decided to drive because he wants to see Hearst Castle. When asked if he was going to actually go into the Castle and visit, he replied, "No, I am just going to drive by."
That struck me as hilarious, but on the other hand, one of the joys of life is to do exactly what you want regardless of what others think (even if it's your child). It's his "bucket list" and he is doing it in the way he wants to do it. As I thought about it, there was an article in the travel section of the San Diego paper about people who visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa. All the people want to do is take a picture of them trying to hold up the tower. How stupid is that? The writer said that the only reason to visit is so you can buy all of the junk they sell there (you can probably get it on line). Pisa is out of the way and probably inconvenient for a drive-by, but that is probably all it deserves. I am going to think about those drive-bys--maybe more things in life only deserve a drive-by. Drive-by friendships; Drive by meals (so we don't eat too much); Drive by marriages (when people stay too long when they know it's over; Drive by church (for those who just go, but are not really paying attention; Drive by school (for the same reason). Fill in your own drive-by event.
One of the best tours I ever took was on one of my first visits to San Francisco. My friend's mother took me on a two day visit to everything in the area--all the way to the Muir woods. We stayed at each place for maybe five minutes. She told me that the reason for that was so that I could get a great overview of everything and then decide, on another visit, what I really wanted to spend time doing. I use that rationale for most of my visits to places. It was really a version of the "Drive By."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is the funny part about that. You can't see Hearst Castle from the road as you "drive by".
Great observations. I sometimes go into a place, use the bathroom (even if I just wash my hands)
then leave. I can in all honesty say. "I went to ....." As a result, I know the quality of the lavatory, bathroom. potty, or powder room . Call it what you will, but it is important. : )
Post a Comment