Yesterday I had lunch with a friend I have known for almost 50 years. We were Peace Corps Volunteers and also trained together at the University of New Mexico. She was also one of only two people I knew when we moved to San Diego. We share the same birthday--she was 86 and I was a few years younger :-). She is a marvelous woman, so full of life and wonderment. Deeply religious; a walker of religion, rather than a preacher of religion.
My friend has been a long time volunteer at the Veteran's Home near her home. She always told me about it and wanted me to visit the home with her and meet some of her friends. Those of you who know me, know that I am not a military aficianado and prefer making love to making war.
Anyway, I expected to see a dilapidated home with people in wheelchairs. I was so surprised--It looked like a resort, houses over 400 (and 180 in the nursing unit)and rivals the best and most expensive assisted living complex. There are several dormitories, a nursing section, for those who need constant medical care, a library, beautiful furniture, beautiful, well kept grounds and yes, people in wheelchairs, but the fancy scooter kind.
My friend told me that there is a cap on what they pay per month, but it is far, far, below what one would pay in a comparable non-military facility.
She knew everyone there and introduced me to everyone. There were women who had been pilots and men with all kinds of experiences. It was lunch time so we were able to see many of them socializing with their friends in the very nice cafeteria. There were women doing karaoke with the activities director, and even a few with jobs on site.
It was an extremely interesting afternoon--I am amazed by what I am able to see in my "Freetirement." It is so marvelous to be able to spend time doing and seeing things that I didn't have time to do and see before.
On this November 3rd, this experience let me know what may be ahead on another November 3rd down the line. I am thankful for each November 3rd and in this season of Thanksgiving, thankful for health and friendships like the one that my birth mate and I share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment