Black President, Black mayor of Cambridge, Mass, Black governor of Massachusetts. In the midst of progress, we are constantly reminded that all is not really well. I heard so much about "racial profiling" from students, primarily, African-American males that I am inclined to believe that the "Gates Case" was one more example. I am reminded of a Malcolm X quote, "What do you call a Black person with a doctorate?" I won't repeat the answer, but leave it up to your imagination. As a southerner, I am always anxious when these types of incidents occur. I always have just a glimmer of a reminder of days gone by.
I was proud that the President chose to speak up. Regardless of public opinion, there are some things which are just fact, even we we try to deny them. We are still judged, to a degree by how we look--no one has time to look into our inner selves. Some of the brightest people I know, don't look "the part"--whatever that means.
It is always intriguing when people say "It couldn't happen here," or in the case of that hotel rapist (about whom we hear nothing these days), "He was a medical student, how is that possible." It will really be nice when we truly not notice exteriors, including race. Perhaps the neighbor thought he/she was doing the right thing, but according to the reports, her call said "Two Black men..." Hmmmmmm. But then again, usually when something is reported in the newspapers, the race of the accused is stated when they are black--I guess everything else is default.
Hopefully, the "Gates" will be truly open someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You did an awesome job, Mrs. O!!! You're my Shero!
Post a Comment