Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mango Season

I have a friend who divides her life into seasons. She always talks about seasons and how they influence her. I have always told her that I am a Miami Girl and the seasons were all the same. I never cared about cold, snow, fall colors, real Christmas trees or anything remotely connected to seasons. I have now, at this stage in my life, changed my opinion of seasons.
When I visited Miami this past week, it was not mango season. I mentioned this to my friend whose trees, when I visit, are laden with mangoes. I still did not see the significance of this "seasonal moment" until later in the visit when I remembered that the season of my visit represented a "seasonal visit" twenty years ago. It was the only time, since college, that I was in Miami when it was not during mango season. I was totally thrown off by being in Miami during an off season moment.
I had to deal with the memories of the loss associated with that Christmastime long ago. It was a defining moment--I was, for a moment, a seasonal Miami Girl.
But now that I have worked it all out (not on my own) , I can still rejoice during mango season--the essence of my Miami, even in December. Mango season for me will now be any time that I am in the magic city.

No comments: