Yesterday, August 16, 2018 seemed to be the end of an era with the passing of my all time favorite recording artist Aretha Louise Franklin.
I have listened to Aretha throughout my lifetime. It all began with listening to her father, Rev. C.L. Franklin and then listening to her sing gospel as a young girl. Her God given voice was always something to behold. I feel as if I have k own her all of my life. Her music formed the tapestry of my generation.
I saw her several times, beginning with a small venue in Miami, and ending with a performance at Humphreys in San Diego. The voice never wavered throughout the years. Aretha was always Aretha.
The lady who was never without her purse, even at the Kennedy Center affair when she placed it on top of the piano😊, was a true treasure.
I loved that she honored and maintained her church roots, from her gospel inspired singing to her great church lady hats. I remember our morher’s disappointment when she began singing secular music. Mother never quite got over that.
I think I know the words to every song she ever sang, and I even sang a duet, with Ruby, at a Morse a High talent show a couple of tears before I freetired. We sang Natural Woman.
I lived that Aretha maintained her privacy and spoke only what she wanted the public to here. She was an old school secret keeper, even until the end.
Fortunately, for all of us, her legacy will last forever through her music. No one can replace her, because she was a singer for the ages.
I am sure that she was greeted at the Pearly gates where she will meet those who have gone before. What a choir that will be!
Rest in Heaven my Ree Ree. We lived you, but God loved you best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment