Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 6, 2017

Thoughts, Prayers, and Policy

Lately there has been so much going on, and what is heavy on my mind today is the latest mass shooting, and this one in a church again.  It is very sad, that  a place of worship in Charleston, a small town in Texas, a school, a theater, and so many other places have been victimized by someone with a gun.  The man in Las Vegas went on a rampage after he entered a hotel with a cache of guns and killed so many innocent people who were merely trying to have fun.

After each of these events, which by the way, are deemed terrorist acts, mental illness, or whatever seems to fit the particular bill, there has been an immediate response “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families.” Exactly, what does that mean?  Are they idle words? Are folks really thinking about the families and praying for them?

The other  immediate comment is “It is not time to talk about gun control.” However, many of the immediate conversations lay blame on someone in Congress, some immigrant, some negative characterization associated with the sad occurrence.  Why not talk immediately about gun control?  Is the NRA running Washington?  What is the fear of this organization?  How can a man with a history that the latest gunman had, possibly buy a gun?  Weaponry is a huge industry in this country, and I imagine money moves almost everything.

If hunters need guns, they certainly are not hunting people.  How are legitimate gun buyers distinguished from those who should never be able to buy a gun?  I wish I had an answer.  I get so tired of hearing “Guns don’t kill people, people do.”  Guns in the wrong hands, kill people!!

Policy is what should matter right now.  While thinking and praying, FEET SHOULD BE MOVING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to believe all who utter the words, ..."thoughts and Prayers are actually hitting their knees and crying out to God for wisdom. When we can't hold the victims or their survivors the best thing we can do is pray across the miles. When we feel hopeless in these situations, we need to pray not only for those intimately affected, but also for our country, our country's leaders, our state representatives, our communities, our families and ourselves. If we're as serious with our prayers as we claim we are, God will give us the wisdom. IMHO
2 Chronicles 7:14

Trina Jenkins said...

Amen Sis O!!

myowntyme said...

Thoughts: My thoughts go to the constant crisis we stay in, the thought of trying not to become a paranoid person but being on constant guard. The thought of what lies ahead for my grandchildren. As I saw the latest victims and their innocent little faces along with their families, my heart just breaks, the tears that I shed bring me back to when Sandy Hook happened and I thought, if nothing else the lives of these innocent children will change something about how guns are regulated in this country, but nothing absolutely nothing. Prayers: I guess if we don't pray, we would all just run into the streets aimlessly. I pray for those who are living personally through their worst nightmare, I pray that God will somehow find the right person who will finally say, ENOUGH, ENOUGH!
Policy: Those are man made and I do not have a lot of faith in the policies at this time, it seems that whenever something is proposed policy wise to help alleviate our gun control issue, the dollars that be, find a way in to push it to the back or disregarded period.
I thank you for your blogs and also your words of wisdom to help us have something or someone to give us a little glimmer that all is not always bad. Your slogan #loveupclose gives me something to see daily and especially on the days where, I feel that is anyone even trying to #loveupclose.